Seared Fresh Tuna

It is hard to be tuna that was swimming in the oceans just hours before being served. I used to get fresh tuna and fresh mahi several times a week when I was bartending at a restaurant right on the docks. I miss those days sometimes.

Fresh Ahi (Yellowfin) and Mahi Mahi are the best. Just had some recently and although I prefer poke or sashimi style, seared furikake Ahi is my second next favorite way to enjoy. Looks great!

oh-yes.jpg

I LOVE fresh caught tuna. That is a great cook and presentation.
I could hammer that plate without blinking an eye.

Couple of things:

Nice cook and nice How-to pics
I can't show this to my wife; she is an seared Ahi nut.
Why wasn't you at the bash with this fish?

I want to thank everyone who replied to my post. Thank you very much for the kind words. I'm still pretty slammed at work and just now being able to reply to some of these.

BTW: My Dorado Fish Tacos post is up now.

Fresh Ahi (Yellowfin) and Mahi Mahi are the best. Just had some recently and although I prefer poke or sashimi style, seared furikake Ahi is my second next favorite way to enjoy. Looks great!
Thanks Humble Soul. I love Poke and sashimi as well. Sometimes we come back with lots of tuna and you have to come up with ways to use it all up. Some of those ways are to make Poke, Ceviche, smoke it and the above. We also cook some up as steaks but tuna is better if it hasn't been frozen except the above way for some reason. I cook a lot of it this way because I can vacuum seal and then freeze them and they are good up to a year later and still taste as if they are fresh.

San Francisco coast the only tuna we get is albacore, and then only when they wander far enough in to reach them with our boats.

You bleed the ahi when you boat it or I hear of some guys gilling one side letting it run a little then gilling the other and boating it. Awesome Furikake crusted seared ahi.

Back