THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

supertramp

Knows what a fatty is.
Been craving some paella since my trip to Portugal and decided tonight was the night.

Shrimp, mussels, clams, scallops, chicken thighs, smoked paprika, saffron

20150424_172704_zpswjeu0k6t.jpg

yellow onion, tomato, paella rice, parsley, scallions, spanish paprika

20150424_172632_zpsnid2gons.jpg

start with the spanish chorizo (not pictured) browning and get some grease in the pan (added an andouille that I pulled out for an appetizer) and then remove and brown thighs

20150424_181506_zps4ydbdxgc.jpg

set browned thighs aside with chorizo and soften onions

20150424_183937_zps0v8e4tcv.jpg

once onions are soft, add saffron, paprika, s&p, minced garlic. add grated tomatoes (seriously, grate on a large box grater) and let darken in color

20150424_184413_zpsja2mwurh.jpg

add rice and then chicken stock. stir for the last time. place chicken and chorizo on top.

20150424_190354_zpsbmpvtnqh.jpg

once liquid is half gone, top with seafood

20150424_191652_zpsabfcppoj.jpg

when mussels and clams open up, paella is done cooking

20150424_193010_zpsv3bebabm.jpg

tent with foil for 15 minutes, then garnish with parsley and scallions and then enjoy your feast. if you like beer, it is hard to beat Grapefruit Sculpin with this dish. The citrus and hops compliment the seafood perfectly.

20150424_194322_zpshzqqd8oa.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Awesome

I don't have a paella pan.
Do you think I could successfully make it on the discadia?
It's not flat, but not wok-like either

That's awesome! It's finally getting warm enough to make some here. Gotta do that soon. Yours looks great!

Awesome

I don't have a paella pan.
Do you think I could successfully make it on the discadia?
It's not flat, but not wok-like either

you really want a flat pan, it makes the dish. without it you will have trouble making the socarrat (caramelized layer of rice) that separates this spanish classic from any other rice dish. if i didn't have a paella pan the only other thing I would try would be a large flat cast iron skillet.

Looks great, and is giving me a nudge. Haven't made paella in a long time. Think I'm gonna have to scratch that itch.

if i was on death row that would be my last dish before meeting the heavenly father

Man! That looks good. Thanks for posting. I just bought the same pan as yours and will soon be doing paella as well.

Thanks for the kind words everybody. I don't know whether I enjoyed cooking it or eating it more.

if i was on death row that would be my last dish before meeting the heavenly father

Although I take that as a compliment I hope for your sake this situation never happens.

That's inspirational, I am going to make that for my wife

unfortunately, I had to wait for my wife to leave town for a girls weekend to make it. I have expanded her palate a great deal but she is not to paella yet.

oh well, we had a rocking guys night of beer, playoff basketball and good food!

Back