THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cat797

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Ed
So, over the holidays my good buddy calls me up (I help him and his brother on the farm planting and harvesting, and anytime they need something fixed) and tells me that he signed up for this contest and won a XL Big Green Egg and that he was going to bring it to my house when he got it.......I thought whatever, sounds like a scam to me...:blah::blah::blah::blah:

Well, I seen him on Saturday at a wrestling tournament and he says I got this heavy farkin thing loaded up in the back of my truck, and I'm going to Mattoon to a wrestling tournament tonight (weather was crappy in Illinois this weekend) for tomorrow morning. Go get it and take it to your house cause I don't know chit about it. Just cook me some ribs sometime! I said you know this SOB is worth about $2,300 right? So I took it to my house........

Score!!! So now I have an XL Big Green Egg sitting in my garage! I've never messed with one and don't know the first thing about it. It has a nest, a ash/fire tool, a rib rack, and the convEGGtor (which I think used to be called a plate setter?). What other accessories to I NEED to have that are exclusive to Eggs/Komado's?

Gonna cook just some chicken on it tonight I think.........

Ed

you really don't need anything else.... but I think the Kick ash baskets are fantastic and worth every penny. Makes cleaning them a breeze. I also like my kamado joe rotisserie, flame boss when I am busy and I have an adjustable rig. Its a pretty handy set-up for multiple cooking levels, its from the ceramic grill store. For every cook I use the kick ash basket and adjustable rig...

Be careful. I once 'knew' a crazy girl from Mattoon.... like lifetime movie crazy...

As far as the egg goes; thats a crazy score! Stock up on lump charcoal and start filling your cart with goodies from the ceramic grill store!!

That's a good friend right there that obviously really appreciates you. Great story.

I know temp controllers aren't exclusive to kamados, but I think they are a great add on. Of course you should get a feel for how to control temps without one, but they can come in handy. I had used a PartyQ to do overnight cooks and that worked fine. Recently was gifted a Thermoworks Signals with Billows. Some people had problems connecting it. I didn't. Other brands offer the same thing and it is pretty cool to be able to monitor or alter a cook on my phone from across town.

I think you have everything you need currently outside of something easy and ridiculously cheap to light the coals. Can also use an olive oil soaked paper towel. But who has time for that?

I will be the voice of reason. Wait until you have a dozen cooks under your belt of all types before adding accessories.

I have a large and went with the ceramic grill store setup from day one so I don't even have a plasterer (eggconvector). But I also had helped my dad for a couple years. I am very partial to the CGS full kit. Very awesome. Not sure how much one would help on the XL. But CGS does have a setup that works with the platesetter at a significantly reduced cost. Works well just got it for dad

I know temp controllers aren't exclusive to kamados, but I think they are a great add on. Of course you should get a feel for how to control temps without one, but they can come in handy. I had used a PartyQ to do overnight cooks and that worked fine. Recently was gifted a Thermoworks Signals with Billows. Some people had problems connecting it. I didn't. Other brands offer the same thing and it is pretty cool to be able to monitor or alter a cook on my phone from across town.

The new egg branded one from the mothership is supposedly fantastic and one of the few comparably priced accessories. egg genius?

Man Ed, what a great gift!
That is being thanked by someone who really cares and appreciates you, yup, you owe him some ribs, pulled pork etc, etc.....
Enjoy and we will look for the pics

Back