SC Mustard BBQ sauce

okiesmokie78

Full Fledged Farker
I tried some mustard sauce at my local Rib Crib not too long ago and fell in love with it. I have always wanted to try my hand at making some homemade BBQ sauce and decided to start with a mustard sauce when a recipe for it came across my FB newsfeed. This is the recipe:

• 2 cups yellow mustard
  • ½ cup red wine vinegar
  • ½ cup white vinegar
  • ½ cup honey
  • 2 TBSP. Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 TBSP. minced garlic
  • 3 TBSP. packed brown sugar
  • 1 TBSP. freshly ground pepper, black or white
Instructions

1. It just doesn’t get any easier than this. Blend all the ingredients in a bowl until smooth and refrigerate until ready to serve.

The only think I did different was I placed it in a small saucepan and brought it to a nice little simmer for about 20 mins. After cooking it I let it cool and put it in a sauce bottle to use later. The problem I'm having is that it is a little thin for my liking, if i were to use it as is I'm afraid it's not going to adhere to the meat very well. Any suggestions on how to thicken it without altering the taste balance too much?

If I understand the recipe correctly, this is the version of SC sauce that is mustardy but otherwise similar to a thin NC sauce--mainly supposed to be thin and tart and not really adhere.

There is another version that is mustard, but thickened with some ketchup or tomato paste. This is usually a bit thicker and sometimes sweeter--a yellowish brown color more than true yellow. It will alter the taste however.

If I understand the recipe correctly, this is the version of SC sauce that is mustardy but otherwise similar to a thin NC sauce--mainly supposed to be thin and tart and not really adhere.

There is another version that is mustard, but thickened with some ketchup or tomato paste. This is usually a bit thicker and sometimes sweeter--a yellowish brown color more than true yellow. It will alter the taste however.

It is definitely tart, which isn't a bad thing per se! I wouldn't mind trying another recipe and seeing how I like it if you have one. In my mind I pictured a finishing sauce if you will, something I can put on late in the cook to mop on and cover the meat. Mainly thinking this would be good on chicken but maybe certain pork items would benefit as well.

1C yellow Mustard
1C german or polish mustard (heartier and with seeds)
1.5C apple cider vinegar
2C ketchup
1/3C worchestershire
1/2C-1C brown sugar (the latter is quite sweet and sticky)
2-4T cayenne based hot sauce
Red pepper flakes to taste
Black pepper to taste
1-2T chili powder

I got this one off this site a couple of years back. The guy said the original was all yellow mustard but he added the stronger mustard to up the mustard flavor

Simmer for 30 min or more, and cool down and store at least overnight before using.

This is a more thick and sweet version than your recipe. I actually prefer the thin and tart version that your recipe is, but this thicker and sweeter one is good--especially the last minute on ribs.

Back