THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brian's very vocal parrot, named Kiwi, was merely checking out all the action going on in his kitchen as seen here. :p

Attachments

• sausage bird watch.jpg
    sausage bird watch.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
DANG!!! You two rocked them links. That's a lot of sausage. That sausage stuffer looks really cool? Is it CI? How old is it? Looks like one sturdy stuffer. I'd hit a few of each flavor! Nicely done, fellas.

Brian will have to tell you the age of the stuffer. It is CI you can go to ebay and put in sausage stuffer and get both the modern and the older stuffers. The one like Brian has can be any where from $50 on up. Also check CL there are some on it from time to time. Enterpise is the most popular name, but if you look at some of the off names you may be able to a good deal.

The sausages you guys made looks great. If you put it in front of me it would be gone before you got the beer bottle open. I made a batch of jalapeno-cheddar last week with the recipe that I got from Ryteks book. That recipe calls for huge quantitys of onion powder, paprica and cheese. I went a little light on the onion powder and paprica but the onion flavor was still a little strong, to me, although the few folks that had some said it tasted good anyways. When I prepared the cheese I cubed it and it came out like this.

b97700c2.jpg

The only problem I have with the cubed cheese is the mess it makes when it heated up, it oooozzzes out the end.

Michael & Brain thanks for sharing your photos, it looks like you guys had a good time.

Was that basic cheddar, or did you find a source for hi-temp cheese?

I just used some bag shredded cheddar cheese.

I've seen the Hi-temp cheese at Allied-Kenco, is there much difference? I imagine the Hi-temp would hold its shape, what are the other advantages?

The Opa's Jalapeno Sausage you've mentioned and gets raves from everyone picqued my interest and its definitely a keeper!

I just used some bag shredded cheddar cheese.

I've seen the Hi-temp cheese at Allied-Kenco, is there much difference? I imagine the Hi-temp would hold its shape, what are the other advantages?

The Opa's Jalapeno Sausage you've mentioned and gets raves from everyone picqued my interest and its definitely a keeper!

The hi-temp works better for me. A good cheddar has great flavor but becomes a liquid when the link is heated to serving temp unless you are stuffing something intended to be served cold like summer sausage. The fat in a regular cheddar also tends to change the texture a bit, in my opinion, when it's heated. If your grind and fat/meat ratio is right using a natural cheese can work great if that's what you are looking for. It can be much more subtle in flavor than using chunks and/or hi-temp cheese. I also prefer to chunk mine rather than grate it, because it's not as subtle when that cheese hits the palate.

I'm no sausage expert, but it's something I've been working on for a while. Having tasted some stuff that others have done, I still don't have a recipe that I consider worthy...but the failures haven't been bad!:mrgreen:

Brian & Michael,
All the sausage looks really Grrrrreat! Michael, you mentioned the up-stroke of the stuffer crank was harder than the down-stroke without it clamped to the table. Brian, I wonder if you could take the handle off, make an adapter if it's not a square shaft, and run the stuffer with a cordless impact-driver?

Or, I guess you could always call up "Northwest Impact-Driver" for a hand! :mrgreen:

DSC_0070.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Micheal does that Kitchen Aid have enough power to grind the meat at a good pace? and how did the stuffer work? we stuffed ours with a manual grinder attachment hooked up to a Black and Decker sidewinder. It took 3 of us but we got it done. Eva knows just how fast to feed the casings so it went pretty well I guess it's pretty easy to have a blowout.
Bing

Bing, the KitchenAid attachment works pretty good. If you will look at my first pic here, you can see how we cubed the pork butt first. The stuffer takes a lot of arm work. I would prefer a motorized one.

DSC_0002.jpg

Micheal I was just at the Kitchen Connection the other day and I thought Kitchen Aid made a stuffing attachment for it.
Would be really cool to make a footswitch for the Kitchen Aid to start and stop the stuffer for better control.

Back