THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You assume wrong. I do compete and I do win and I don't use store bought sauces or rubs and it doesnt cost 700 dollars to make. I would be willing to bet I could go through your frig and pantry and pull off a wining sauce. These big name teams make their own and then make a ton of money selling basic ingredients to other lower level teams. When I found out majority teams on the pro circuit were useing store bought sauces it was a big let down for me and I lost a lot of respect for those guys as well. Hey this is just my opinion and we all know how opinions are. All it akes is a little ketchup, chili sauce, corn syrup and about three other ingredients and you got yourself a sauce. Happy smoking!

You assume wrong. I do compete and I do win and I don't use store bought sauces or rubs and it doesnt cost 700 dollars to make. I would be willing to bet I could go through your frig and pantry and pull off a wining sauce. These big name teams make their own and then make a ton of money selling basic ingredients to other lower level teams. When I found out majority teams on the pro circuit were useing store bought sauces it was a big let down for me and I lost a lot of respect for those guys as well. Hey this is just my opinion and we all know how opinions are. All it akes is a little ketchup, chili sauce, corn syrup and about three other ingredients and you got yourself a sauce. Happy smoking!

Not saying it cost $700 to make a sauce and a rub for a comp... My WHOLE comp weekend involves approximately $700 from thursday to saturday, When you say you "win" what does that mean? I make my own brisket and pork rub, but i do not use them in competitions because it is not what the judges are used to, and probably wouldnt do well. I also have sponsors, who i represent each and every weekend i compete, btw Thank you to Simply Marvelous, Drapers BBQ, and Mojobricks!

One just has to look for other additives to mix with BH original. Bill himself used a mix of Tenn. Red and Original with great success. Same with Head Country and KC Masterpiece which all ran their course with many types of additives or mixing ingredients. It's not that hard to be individual when you mix your mixes. Steve.

Not saying it cost $700 to make a sauce and a rub for a comp... My WHOLE comp weekend involves approximately $700 from thursday to saturday, When you say you "win" what does that mean? I make my own brisket and pork rub, but i do not use them in competitions because it is not what the judges are used to, and probably wouldnt do well. I also have sponsors, who i represent each and every weekend i compete, btw Thank you to Simply Marvelous, Drapers BBQ, and Mojobricks!

Exactly. This is a business in it's own and for you to give your opinion as to what you like and lexpect is far from what is out there. I love bbq'n for family and friends and i love the comp aspect as well. What I do on my own is far different than what I would do at a comp...so keep your opinion to yourself and Happy smoking! I was just looking for results within the the whole sauce spectrum, not someone who wants us to believe that they are the next big thing in BBq, cause if you are..send me the sauce!

Great for you and congratulations. Not everyone has your culinary abilities so they do the best they can with their knowledge. By the way, what is your Team name? I'd love to look up those past wins.

and what is your team name

I believe mr Johnny Trigg would be laughing all the way to the bank to cash his $50,000 check.... He doesn't make his own sauces. He admitted it...

But he's no good at BBQ or anything...:roll:

Many people don't make their own sauces from scratch for a variety of reasons. Comps take a lot of time to prep for and teams like mine take commercial sauces and then add specific ingredients to achieve the profile we want. It takes less time and the consistency in taste and viscosity is greatly improved over making our own from scratch. I will also add that Blues Hog is a good sauce but we don't use it and we also know quite a few top teams that choose not to.

I use commercial sauces as a base to my custom comp blends. It changes every comp. To me, there's no sense in being perfectly consistent every time, because the judges are never consistent. I won't blues hog the crap out of my stuff, but 9 times out of 10, the sauce that tastes the best and wins something has at least a little bit of it in there.

I cooked at Kettering yesterday, and I can tell you that 2/3 of our calls did not contain BH including the 1st place pork and 2nd place chicken...Ribs, we do use a slight amount of BH blended with other sauces. Ohio sure did love our food yesterday... except our brisket... not sure what happened there same recipe took 2nd place less than a month ago
Congrats on last weekend. The quality of the meat that I judged was very good on Saturday (except for the Pork). I am mainly a Cook as opposed to a Judge. Kettering was my first Judging contest in about 2 years. We took first in Pork last year w/o a drop of BH on it. i was just taking a break from the money pit that Comp BBQ is and wanted to get a refesher on what Teams are turning in these days. Was surprised to see how prevalent BH was... especially on Chick and Brisket.

I make my own sauces and rubs. I have tried other brands of sauces and rubs and take the flavors I like from them to make or modify my own. I recently tried a rub that had more black pepper in it that mine. I liked how it tasted so I made a version of my rub with more black pepper. The same goes for the sauces. If another sauce glazes better than yours add some corn syrup, honey or jelly to it. The reason certain sauces win more than others is simple math. More teams are using them. Its like the lottery. 65% of all winning tickets are quick picks. Why? because 65% of all tickets sold are quick picks. JMO

You probably need to drop at least half a million and raise your own meats with that mentality.

It's also not really store bought. These are specialized products designed for competition BBQ. You don't see Blues Hog, Plowboys, Head Country, Dizzy Pig, etc. at the supermarket.

We make some of our rubs and sauces, and we also use commercial stuff. Teams use what wins. You could also say the same thing about injections. "Fab, Butchers, or Kosmos again?!!!"

We make our own rubs and injections. We use Blues Hogs and Head Country...and we mix some other things in there as well:)

Back