THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

billygbob

Knows what a fatty is.
Has anyone else seen a significant decline in selection and quality at Sam's Club? I joined pretty much so I could get packer briskets. Three years ago prices (for goods in general) weren't bad and there was more than one option for many items. Any more if its something I buy they drop it (TP, water, cheese...) and there are usually no brand options. They used to carry all beef Farmland bologna chubs; now they have no bologna of any kind. I used to like their Eckrich bacon - 3lbs in 1lb packs; decent flavor and did great for ABT, Moinks, etc. Here's the crap in the packages now:

badbacon2.jpg

Just enough lean to look OK in the package. I basically bought 2.5lbs of cured fat.

This store is alway busy. Lots of food moves through it. Is my area store just a dud? Or are others seeing the same decline?

My membership is up in a couple of weeks and I'm wondering if CostCo is will be a better option. I'd appreciate the Brethren's insights and recommendations.

Many Thanks <billyg>

I have had zero problems with quality at mine. The brand selection has declined a bit.

For bacon, I usually get both the 3lb Hormel Black Label Thick Cut Bacon and the 3 pack of 1lb Farmland thin bacon, both has it's purpose. That big box of 10 lbs or whatever of bacon I don't find worth it, not because of ratio of fat to lean, but because it's simply not nearly as tasty.

As for the rest of their meats, I have been very happy with the quality.

Would be tough to disagree with you, actually. I've noticed that the meat has changed too. Mainly I get tenderloins and ribs now and then, but you're right - the bacon has really become fatty. I like fat...but not like that. I do have a CostCo here in North Charleston...might have to go check it out.

BillyGBob,

Joined Sam's just for the meats, after the join they have never had briskets, shoulders, butts, picnics etc..... Just ribs.

So sorry I signed up. I figured that the Sam's Club endorsement for the circuit stood for something. :confused:

Live and learn, I am going to try Costco.

One of the things about any of these large club stores is that they make large long-term deals with suppliers. In many cases, they are not able to make the same buys on a consistent basis. I have been with Costco off and on since they came to California and have seen the occasional problem with quality, especially with perishable items. It also matters a great deal about the manager. I have seen both Costco and Sam's Club change dramatically when the manager of the store changed. Both selection and quality can go up and down.

I've had memberships with Sam's, BJs, and most recently Costco. Each has it's plus' and minus' but I preferred BJs. The selection was great in all departments and my grocery list was always filled. Unfortunately, the BJs closest to me was closed last year as part of the downsizing.

Now I shop at Costco and the only complaint I have is the selection; it's very limited. You have 1 choice for a number of products, 2 tops ~ usual Kirkland (Costco's brand) and a national brand. As for the meat department, I must say it's been excellent. I've purchased baby backs, spares, lamb, pork rib roast, and steaks; primarily T-bone and Sirloin. Absolutely no complaints and the only reason I don't buy brisket from Costco is because it's the flat, not a packer. I get those at the International Market.

I will add that living in the metro Atlanta area, I'm very lucky in that I have 3 Costcos to choose from as I had 2 Sam's Clubs. IMHO, Costco's quality is heads above Sam's. I also have a Restaurant Depot close by where I purchased some awesome Angus beef ribs last week as well as scallops and shrimp.

Sorry for being long winded ~ just sharing my observations. I'll be quiet now. :icon_shy

Its been a while since I've been to Sam's, but the bacon is one reason I've kept my membership. Costco products in general are better quality. We've been getting prime beef all summer.

Our BJ's membership is up for renewal at the end of the month. They recently built a sams near us, so we stopped by to see how it stacked up against bj's. The meat was about the only section that was slightly better (our BJ's mainly has select beef, while the sams had choice.) Other than that, BJ's won hands down. We will be renewing at bj's next time we go. I was really dissapointed in the selection at Sams. Have to admit i was wondering why people go there, but sounds like that me be a recent trend.

Last edited:
I havent realy noticed much diffence in the quality at my Sams, I like the 10 lb box of bacon to mix in with my deer meat i grind up for brats its a great way to add fat and it runs right though the grinder, sams is where i get all my beef and pork for smoking

My Costco doesn't have packers, only flats. Plus I've found that some things that are available year round at Sams's are seasonal items at Costco. The one thing Costco has going for it as far as I'm concerned is that they carry the 2 packs of Kingsford Comp. So for me, I keep both memberships because each has something I like and I can't get at the other place.

I always saw Costco as upscale Sam's - but I had an altercation there recently, gave up my membership; and just deal with Restaurant Depot now. The bacon there is awesome, all lunch meats, cheeses, etc are about half the cost of the other places. Not really missing Costco - except maybe on that $500 kamado deal.

I like Costco a little better than Sam's. The meats are better and prime is available. The price of brisket disappoints me at Costco...$5/LB. As for the quality of that bacon, it is an Eckrich problem.

I shop at costco once a week, they have a 20oz fountain soda and a hebrew national hot dog for $1.50 - I get it everytime I go. Other than that I agree with the person earlier that says each have their pluses and minuses. If I had to pick one I would chose costco over sams, just seems like they have more household items vs. business wholesale items and is cleaner/newer....and of course the hot dog!

I am fortunate to have both here. The Costco is near our house and the Sams is near where I work, so hitting both isnt a problem. I usually get my meat from Sam's because Costco only carries flats and boneless butts. I have yet to be dissappointed in the quality of meat I have purchased and they always have it in stock. That being said, I buy virtually everything else from Costco.

I have to add Costco with Sams also. I can't find bone in butts anymore and I use to love their tenderloins and haven't been impressed with the quality there anymore. Costco still has a pretty good selection of spares because the first ones that get chosen are the lean looking ribs and folks who don't know much leave the fatty/marbleized ones.

My local sams club seems to have the best meat in the area... tons of CAB in their coolers... I have never bought anything there I would label as below par at all...

Quality is down and prices are up at the Sam's clubs in my area. Unfortunately, I don't have any other big box options. I am able to buy meat wholesale from a buddy who sells to grocery store chains and restaurant supply houses, but I have to buy in case quantities. Last month I purchased a case of choice whole packers at $2.04/lb, a case of spare ribs @ $1.59/lb. and a case of butts @ $1.39. The briskets were IBP which always has top quality meat. I wish the butts and spares were from there.

Been a long time Costco member. One advantage of Costco is that Membership is free. If you purchase an Executive Membership for $100, you get 2% back on all your Costco purchases. If this does not add up to at least $100 by the end of a year, they will refund the difference.

Been a long time Costco member. One advantage of Costco is that Membership is free. If you purchase an Executive Membership for $100, you get 2% back on all your Costco purchases. If this does not add up to at least $100 by the end of a year, they will refund the difference.

They refund the difference once, and drop you down to a regular membership. They usually check your stats, and then try to upgrade you. It's a marketing gimmick. The 2% back is enough mental stimulant to entice you to spend more than you normally would with the regular card.

Sam's Club ROCKS!

I've never seen anything bad at the clubs in my area.... I'd like to see the package of the bacon in the first picture.

I will also say it could be taken back and refunded or exchanged without question.

Back