THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

isuhunter

Full Fledged Farker
We were at Aldis the other day and bought some salmon (i know i know) maybe not the best but we'll give it a try.

Anyway - we never really cook salmon and I don't have a cedar plank. I'm thinking some butter and Lemon Pepper as season.

How do guys recommend grilling/smoking?

Hopefully someone chimes in. I'm in the same boat, in fact i don't really care for Salmon, but after my fast lab let's just say I'm attempting to eat a little better.

Can smoke low and slow or hot and fast (which is just like roasting in the oven). The family loves the brown sugar/salt/dill dry brine beforehand. Smoke with any fruit wood, but be careful of over smoking. Did that once. No one would touch it.

The cedar planks are more convenient to move the fish around. A whole side of salmon is pretty fragile once it’s fully cooked. If you have a rack to lay it on during the cook, it will make your life infinitely easier. I take mine to 145. Hope this helps!

Big fan of this worcestershire sauce on salmon. Brush on liberally then sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper. Leave out at room temp for 30-40 minutes Grill flesh side down over hot lump coals for maybe 2 minutes then flip skin side down. 6-9 minutes depending on thickness of fillet. Drizzle with a little more Wizard's (also sold in small bottles) and fresh lemon juice just before serving.

Overdone salmon sucks. Should still have a good amount of pink in the middle.

IME if it's not King Salmon from fresh from the west coast it better be fresh from the Atlantic (farm salmon is a tool of the devil). That being said - you don't need the cedar. Still it provides a different flavor.

Ever try Colonel Pabst's Worcestershire sauce? That is some good stuff, a little on the expensive side though.
Never heard of it but willing to try.

Wizard's is the best I've had. Said it before: Makes Lea & Perrins taste like gasoline.

We eat a lot of fish here in my house. I would much rather have fish than chicken. I do not like my fish heavily seasoned. Fish is real easy to over power with seasonings. I like my salmon with just pepper, sea salt, a shmear of butter and whole fresh basil leaves on it. Than serve with wedges of fresh lemon.

We were at Aldis the other day and bought some salmon (i know i know) maybe not the best but we'll give it a try.

Anyway - we never really cook salmon and I don't have a cedar plank. I'm thinking some butter and Lemon Pepper as season.

How do guys recommend grilling/smoking?

Aldi's is nothing to look down upon IMHO. They have good stuff there, they just don't overcharge for most of it.

Their German Christmas cookies are the BEST though!

Done plenty, If you are looking for something to put the salmon on instead of the cedar plank thinly sliced lemons works well, I've done that a few times. Otherwise a greased up piece of foil works.

Lemon Pepper is my goto for salmon, but the wife doesn't like it.

For lesser grades of frozen Salmon, I like something with a little Cayenne kick to it. Think Creole seasoning from your favorite brand at the local grocery store in a skillet with a hint of olive oil in the pan and finished in the oven under the broiler.

For better fresh grades, a little garlic salt (very little) and a quick broil with a squeeze of lemon is nice.

Will have to see if I can find a smaller bottle somewhere to try out.
Available @amazon and most Whole Foods locations. In fact, it was how much Whole Foods was charging for the small bottles that caused me to buy the gallon...before Amazon acquired WF.

While at ALDI go ahead and pick up a bottle of their Orange Sauce (it has lots of ginger, not too sweet, and is next to the Teriyaki), it works great as a Salmon glaze (so does pineapple juice and teriyaki, 50:50). Oil a sheet pan or use a frog mat and place skin side down, you will pick up plenty of smoke. I like around 400 and start checking for doneness after 20 minutes, thicker cuts I may wait till 25 minutes.

Last edited:
Back