THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One for DaPittBoss

Check this out. 2 Double bastards. Be afraid. Be very afraid. Note salmon with Jim's finishing rub ready for the Dera.

Attachments

• salmon 112005 h.jpg
    salmon 112005 h.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 56
wsm said:
How do you keep your WSM at 80*? Just light 6 briquettes?

Yep Rich, started with 6 briquets(only lit 2) and 1 chunk of apple. Added only apple after that as needed. I've done this before with ice and water in the pan for 3 hrs with cheese, and it wasn't too bad maintaining the temp. Today, I didn't want any moisture added to the salmon, so the water pan was empty. It took quite a bit more attention to the vents, etc. But basically I was able to maintain a temp from 70 to 90 degrees. I've never cold smoked salmon, will be anxious to try it.

Later,,

Ok, final update. Between my wife & I we had 2 very different opinions. First my wife loved the salmon. She scarfed down 2 plates full. (Im hoping this means sex). I found it too sweet. There was a lot of brown sugar in the recipe. The only variation I made from Jim's recipe was I added 1 tsp of Old Bay. Next time I may just do lemon & butter & pepper in the final "rub".

Dont get me wrong, it was really good. I had 2 helpings myself but I didnt have as much as my wife. She was absolutly crazy about it.

This was also the first time I tried a briquette only fire and I had a hard time getting above 225*. I dont have a fire basket yet but that will soon change. My temp stayed between 200 & 225 and I had a small cast iron box filled with alder in the coals.

Attachments

• salmon 112005 o.jpg
    salmon 112005 o.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 50
Ouch. That hurt brother. If she drank even part of 1 of those beers I could have gotten lucky for sure. But Im sure it would be considered a crime in VA. She'd be comotose. Thats some seriously strong beer. Double Bastard!!

Back