THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fatback Joe

Babbling Farker
I hadn't made a salami in quite a while........probably didn't need to as I seem to still have plenty vacuum packed away, but I didn't let it stop me. I find that enjoy the process probably more than eating it anyhow, so why not.

Decided to just kind of wing it.....the measurements are exact, but I didn't follow a recipe, just kind of went off the top of my head for ingredients. Kept it pretty simple

%100 Pork
2% Sea Salt
1.2% Garlic
.75% Sugar
.6% Black pepper
.12% Thyme
.1% Paprika
.25% Cure #2

FL-C starter culture

Cut up a butt and kept some small chunks......just small enough to fit through the stuffer tube for a little extra texture and look for the salami. Looking at the pic, I am reasonably sure that I cut them down a little smaller still.

pKFI9X2.jpg

Everything else got a coarse grind.

lj1FC2p.jpg

Mixed the pork and spices for a minute and a half or so and stuffed into beef middles approx 12" long. Always one that just doesn't want to lay right. LOL

DLFHXxF.jpg

WPP4gnB.jpg

Vac packed and right into the sous vide to ferment. 72 hours at 72 degrees. Rinsed, patted, dry, weight recorded and hung in the chamber. Average 55 degrees and 75% RH. Pic was a few days in.

sUGkl4w.jpg

Pulled the smaller one over the weekend and the rest today after 35% weight loss. I would like to have seen a little more growth on them, but these white specs make me happy. I recently had to switch fridges so am basically starting over on the culture in the chamber........all naturally occurring.

T4IX4lD.jpg

Had to crack one open of course.

KNyNQjG.jpg

Overall, pretty pleased with it, the minimal spicing let the pork flavor really come through. They had quite a bit more fermentation twang than I am used to, but I am ok with that. Over all, I'll call it a success. They are vac packed now and in the fridge to equalize a bit more and let the flavors continue to develop.

Last edited:
Do you prefer the natural middles vs collagen?? Just wondering.

I am about to get back into the hobby. I am going to purchase a mini fridge (all fridge, without the freezer part). I've got my johnson control, I will be adding the inkbrd controller for humidity and dehumidify issues. A small computer fan to move the air. I think I will be all set to dip my toe back in.

Do you prefer the natural middles vs collagen?? Just wondering.

I am about to get back into the hobby. I am going to purchase a mini fridge (all fridge, without the freezer part). I've got my johnson control, I will be adding the inkbrd controller for humidity and dehumidify issues. A small computer fan to move the air. I think I will be all set to dip my toe back in.

As far as the middles go, I do prefer the natural. They are easy to work with and I just tend to prefer the more traditional things........despite my sous vide ferment. LOL I think it just looks cooler too.

I started with a mini fridge too. Frustrating, it was hard to keep the humidity down. Good luck!

Spectacular! or - speck-tacular! :twisted:

Very cool and I am envious. One day I'll have the wherewithal to put together a curing chamber, but I don't see it happening soon. Would really love to do country ham. Have yet to get into cure #2 world but one day...

Very nicely done - love it when you do charcuterie! :hungry:

I started with a mini fridge too. Frustrating, it was hard to keep the humidity down. Good luck!

I was thinking it through, now I am looking where I might store a full size that the wife won't kill me. The garage can get hot out here in AZ, but I have a full size freezer and fridge already out there that do well. so, might just have to squeeze another one out there.

I was thinking it through, now I am looking where I might store a full size that the wife won't kill me. The garage can get hot out here in AZ, but I have a full size freezer and fridge already out there that do well. so, might just have to squeeze another one out there.

I hear ya, I'm from Phoenix originally. Memphis leaves something to be desired as well. When I moved from the mini fridge to a large one I had the same dilema. I have a crawl space under that house that is tall enough to stand in one one end, so kind of an in between crawl space and basement. Anyhow, that is where I am set up. It gets hot in there, but everything seems to do ok. I did learn that with the heat you have to set your temperature tolerance a little higher. At first I tried to keep it between 53 and 58 degrees. In the hot months, that that was hard on the fridge with the constant cycle off and on, if I got 2 years out of a fridge I was lucky. It finally hit me to give it a wider range so it didn't kick on so much. I try to stay between 48 and 58 now......that extra 5 degrees seemed to do the trick and all of the end product is fine.

I have just been using old fridges off craigslist $100 to $150 max so when they burn up, I don't much care other than the inconvenience.

Good luck, look forward to seeing what you turn out. :thumb:

Spectacular! or - speck-tacular! :twisted:

Very cool and I am envious. One day I'll have the wherewithal to put together a curing chamber, but I don't see it happening soon. Would really love to do country ham. Have yet to get into cure #2 world but one day...

Very nicely done - love it when you do charcuterie! :hungry:

Thanks Man. I know from your posts that when you take the plunge you will be killing it and putting the rest of us to shame.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
^^^well one thing I can do is bring the shame! but it's usually to myself. :oops:

***edit***

forgot to say thanks for the kind words - thanks, brother!

Last edited:
Back