THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it me or is the infrastructure at this event getting worse and worse? No grease barrels, no onsite judging schedule, the electric (at least where we were) was spotty and under volt all weekend.

I'm pretty laid back and in 8 years of competing, have never filled out a contest critique form,...most are run really well
this will be my first contest to fill out the form
:wacko: walking 8 to 12 minutes EACH WAY through crowds to get to port o potties is ridiculous
:wacko: paying $150 for electric and have the circuit breakers snapping every have hour...ridiculous
:wacko: using my generators after paying for electric and then supplying electric for my 2 neighbors...ridiculous
:wacko: port o potties LOCKED Friday night until Saturday morning...ridiculous
:wacko: No volunteer staff knowing where grease, ash and gray water go...ridiculous

Noticeably worse this year than previous years

I'm pretty laid back and in 8 years of competing, have never filled out a contest critique form,...most are run really well
:wacko: walking 8 to 12 minutes EACH WAY through crowds to get to port o potties is ridiculous
:wacko: paying $150 for electric and have the circuit breakers snapping every have hour...ridiculous
:wacko: using my generators after paying for electric and then supplying electric for my 2 neighbors...ridiculous
:wacko: No volunteer staff knowing where grease, ash and gray water go...ridiculous

Ya, Pork in the Park was the same way on the electric this year. Under 100 volts a lot of the time, including for people that paid extra for 30 amp service. If you are going to charge people a fee for electric service, it had better work.

Were you on 12th street? Where were the porta-lets for you?

They should be issuing refunds for the pi$$ poor electrical. We were supposed to have 30 amp service and ended up with 20. The electrician told us that they only ordered the smaller 200 amp panel generators this year instead of the larger ones in years past.

actually this is comendable, at least on your part. That was a great thing to do, especially since both of those teams were doing thier first contest. Ironic part was, one of them won the "Spirit of BBQ" award. I didnt have a vote, but you would have had mine.

Were you on 12th street? Where were the porta-lets for you?

2 blocks down in either direction on Pennsylvania Ave.

actually this is comendable, at least on your part. That was a great thing to do, especially since both of those teams were doing thier first contest. Ironic part was, one of them won the "Spirit of BBQ" award. I didnt have a vote, but you would have had mine.

just ridiculous in the sense that they really had little draw on the electric...some lights and radio...still not able to keep the circuit from snapping
I thought it was AC in my trailer doing the dirty deed:oops:...but once I was disconnected from their grid they still has same issues

Tim, it was nice meeting and talking with you this past weekend. No doubt, you did a great deed by helping those teams out. That's the spirit...unfortunately, you shouldn't have needed to do it in the first place.

While this was not a good showing by the organizers this year, it was still better than some in the past years. The lack of ports potties was the worse. A 2 block walk is complete B/S. The electric was another joke. I am so glad we had an onboard generator.

While not the best showing for our team we are very happy with how we did. National Lamb Champion????? Are you F$%KING kidding me???? BTW I will go on record here and tell you all I HATE LAMB!!!!!

Congrats who walked!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG

Very much agree with many of the comments above - electric was pathetic, particularly given the $150 surcharge for power. Wasn't turned on until 2AM Saturday, was on and off constantly on Saturday morning due to something tripping the breaker and then blew completely out in the rain on Sunday morning (playing havoc with my pork). Had a fun time (great to get to know you guys, BABY GOT BUTT, and thanks so much for sharing your genny on Sunday) and a surprisingly great result in chicken, so will likely try in again next year (but will ensure I have a good genny of my own, regardless of what the competitor's packet says).

Don
Jokers and Smokers

We were on 12th, but pretty high up, the 3rd team down from the corner of Penn. Our electric was fine other than for about 2 minutes on Saturday morning when the rain came down pretty hard. Either the water or the guy next to me tripped the electric, but it got sorted out quickly and we were good. The porta potties were a problem and competitor load in was an hour or so late to start, but overall it was pretty smooth for us. The only thing that seemed a little disorganized was the on-site judging, and that seemed to just be misinformation while the organizers were trying to figure out exactly how to do it.

I am sure I will definitely do it next year, and would recommend it to anyone else looking to do a comp with a good mix of newbs and pros.

They really need to re-evaluate this event. MBN isn't coming back so they either need to do their own MiM style event on Sunday or make it a standard Sat/Sun KCBS event with normal turn in times on Sunday. This would allow them to still load teams in Friday night but not put pressure on teams that need electric to make Saturday turn ins. They could do all the ancillary categories on Saturday afternoon and even add some kind of Iron Chef or grill off to keep the crown interested.

The other scenario that I like is make it a dual KCBS event. One contest Friday/Saturday and one Saturday/Sunday. Have the combined scores from pork and ribs be the Safeway pork champion.

Very much agree with many of the comments above - electric was pathetic, particularly given the $150 surcharge for power. Wasn't turned on until 2AM Saturday, was on and off constantly on Saturday morning due to something tripping the breaker and then blew completely out in the rain on Sunday morning (playing havoc with my pork). Had a fun time (great to get to know you guys, BABY GOT BUTT, and thanks so much for sharing your genny on Sunday) and a surprisingly great result in chicken, so will likely try in again next year (but will ensure I have a good genny of my own, regardless of what the competitor's packet says).

Don
Jokers and Smokers
It was great to get to know you too Don. We had a great time but also were very disappointed in the organizers this year. We were not told when onsite judging would be and had to hold our pork for 2 hours. That's tough when it is already pulled/sliced...oh well, hopefully they will do better next year cause we had a great time!!!!

The other scenario that I like is make it a dual KCBS event. One contest Friday/Saturday and one Saturday/Sunday. Have the combined scores from pork and ribs be the Safeway pork champion.

I think that's a great idea. While I understand the popularity of the NEBS/KCBS here throughout NY and New England, I think the dual KCBS concept would be unique here on the east coast. I know they are fairly popular on the west coast.

It was definately an interesting contest. It seemed to be more of a large Fest with a KCBS contest stuffed inside as opposed to the usual rib/BBQ Fest wrapped around a contest. They really do need to step up the appreciation for the teams especially when you look at what they are charging you.

The other thing I found to be a little weird was the payouts. Granted the extra kickers for the top three paid by sponsors were very nice, the actual contest payout for the KCBS categories was on the low side. I don't know that I have ever been to another contest that paid nothing for RGC.

I think that's a great idea. While I understand the popularity of the NEBS/KCBS here throughout NY and New England, I think the dual KCBS concept would be unique here on the east coast. I know they are fairly popular on the west coast.

It was definately an interesting contest. It seemed to be more of a large Fest with a KCBS contest stuffed inside as opposed to the usual rib/BBQ Fest wrapped around a contest. They really do need to step up the appreciation for the teams especially when you look at what they are charging you.

The other thing I found to be a little weird was the payouts. Granted the extra kickers for the top three paid by sponsors were very nice, the actual contest payout for the KCBS categories was on the low side. I don't know that I have ever been to another contest that paid nothing for RGC.

They still try to hold to the whole "Safeway National Pork Championship" concept where the KCBS event is only a part of the whole. This is why they announced the GC before the Pork champion.

They still try to hold to the whole "Safeway National Pork Championship" concept where the KCBS event is only a part of the whole. This is why they announced the GC before the Pork champion.

Yeah I understand that much more now and actually like the idea of the contests within a contest like they have for the chicken, ribs, and beef much more having done it. It was definitely interesting with a much different learning curve than a standard KCBS.

I still don't get why they announced GC before RGC and don't pay RGC.

Back