S&S Kettle smoke hole question

halfcocked

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
George
Thinking of poking a hole in my Weber 22" for a smoke hole like the one on the S&S Kettle. Would appreciate advice from owners here about the exact location and size of the hole on the S&S kettle. I assume it is under the charcoal grate but can't tell how far under and if it is directly under the S&S charcoal basket. I also can't tell what diameter it is. Any help and additional information I need would be appreciated. George

"Will this help.?" Are you kidding. This is beautiful. Thanks.

You're welcome. The smoke hole was one of the features on my kettle that I had doubts about. But it might be my favorite feature. With the bottom vent closed, the smoke hole (and top vent setting) let's me dial in pit temps perfectly. I have never had a kettle this easy to control.

I was thinking about doing the same mod but the covers sold by SnS aren't sold by any retailer or distributor in Europe; spending $50 in import taxes for less than ten bucks worth of material is not really great. Any suggestion as to what else to use instead?

I was thinking about doing the same mod but the covers sold by SnS aren't sold by any retailer or distributor in Europe; spending $50 in import taxes for less than ten bucks worth of material is not really great. Any suggestion as to what else to use instead?

My drum smokers have 1" intake holes near the bottom that are sized to fit electrical panel knockout plugs, which work fine but there is no fine tuning. I bought some round magnets, the soft flexible kind and use those. Bear in mind that heat affects magnetism. So I would do a test run with a magnet in the area you would drill the hole and make sure it is still strong enough to stick when you have a hot grill.

I hear you. I it would be $24 with shipping to Miami. I'm not going that route either. I'll fix something up to work for a cover.

You're welcome. The smoke hole was one of the features on my kettle that I had doubts about. But it might be my favorite feature. With the bottom vent closed, the smoke hole (and top vent setting) let's me dial in pit temps perfectly. I have never had a kettle this easy to control.
I'm wondering if a 1" hole is necessary or can it be done with 3/4". Do you ever open the smoke hole entirely for smoking?

I'm wondering if a 1" hole is necessary or can it be done with 3/4". Do you ever open the smoke hole entirely for smoking?

Yes. And sometimes I'll crack the bottom vent too, but note that the SnS has more wings than a Weber kettle. If you have a step bit, I suppose you could start with a 3/4" hole, then go bigger if you need more draft. This photo shows the relationship of the smoke hole.

6wiUBNC.png

Yes. And sometimes I'll crack the bottom vent too, but note that the SnS has more wings than a Weber kettle. If you have a step bit, I suppose you could start with a 3/4" hole, then go bigger if you need more draft. This photo shows the relationship of the smoke hole.

6wiUBNC.png

I gotta admit, you keep one hell of a clean pit.

Am I in the minority of being able to lock temps solid on Weber kettles without any mods?

I sort of like the idea of a probe port for a kettle- but notching the base lip and just laying the wires in is just way easier to me - and cheaper.

I do not like using the clean out wings for the bottom air adjustment. The wiggly handle and blade shapes make it fuzzy to determine a definite setting. A teardrop slide cover would make that intake easier to see, set and repeat. I would not buy a stoker for a kettle- but I can't chuck rocks at people who need or want gizmos for their cookers.

Am I in the minority of being able to lock temps solid on Weber kettles without any mods?
This was my first kettle smoke attempt. I was able to keep a steady 235 degree for almost 2 hours but then wanted to lower the temp a little and that caused a constant back and forth on the temp. ranging from 190 to 300+ with just slight adjustments (I thought) on the clean out vent. Not being able to see the vent is a disadvantage. Also, it is difficult to micro adjust in that there are actually three vents in play each time you attempt adjusting. Anyway, could I live without the smoke hole adjuster: sure I could but I have this constant desire to improve or destroy attempting to improve things.:biggrin1:

For those struggling to adjust the bottom vents on a Weber with the ash sweeper, I have found that it's helpful to mark preset positions with a permanent marker.

I mark 100% open, 50% and 100% closed in daylight while the pit is cold and I can see in there without burning my face off.

I do the majority of my cooking at night in poor lighting, and this takes the guesswork out of my vent settings, and I rarely struggle to maintain even temps.

I have marks for 3 different openings on my Silver kettle. Having no bucket ash clean out, I had to mark them on the kettle base with a china marker. But since the Cheap AZZ handle has about a half inch of deflection ("wiggle")- and is nowhere close to the marks, it makes it hard to line up the handle with the mark.

I'd much rather have the "smoke hole" with cover option. I need to look into that...one day.

Back