THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

B

Brooklyn BBQ

Anyone have an easy method of removing rust from a grill grate and water pan. Tried a drill with wire metal brush attached and still cant get it all off. This is a home made smoker I aquired from a family friend so the size is not standard and cant find replacement grates.

I had pretty good luck in the past cleaning up old grates using Easy-Off. Place the grates in a garbage bag, spray them down with the easy off, tie the bag, let them set in there for 3-4 hours, then pull them out and rinse them off.

Give them a good burn before using them for que. A light spray of non stick before heating them may help prevent the rust from returning.

Anyone have an easy method of removing rust from a grill grate and water pan. Tried a drill with wire metal brush attached and still cant get it all off. This is a home made smoker I aquired from a family friend so the size is not standard and cant find replacement grates.

Anything left behind after using a wire wheel will probably be ok. Just spray some Pam or anything similiar and don't worry about it.The rust will just add a little iron to your diet.

Knock off the heavy, and reseason. With use, the rust will go away. Usually you won't have any problem if you use it.

On a water pan, that's a little different. You may need more oomph than a drill motor with wire brush. But if you don't want to buy or borrow an angle grinder that spins at 10,000+ rpm and use a wire cup brush on it (which removes loose paint and rust very effectively) and you don't have a friend with a bead blaster, here are some options:

1. get a big tub from the store and use your small battery charger to do electrolytic derusting (you can google this up, I'm not going to type it all in here)

2. same big tub, dump in two gallons of vinegar and a pound of salt, stir vigorously to dissolve as much as possible, put your water bowl in, add water if needed to cover, let sit 24 hours or at least overnight. The solution works a lot better if it's warm, so an incandescent light bulb hung down into the tub with plywood over the top keeps away bugs and will warm the bath a little. After doing this, you will need to paint or at least oil the water pan quickly, as chemically clean steel will rust nearly instantly in contact with any water at all.

seattlepitboss

I'm starting to feel like my indifference to rust is bad. I mean I don't let it build up so that it flakes and dusts the meat but I am not doing electrolytic derusting.

moda253 said:
I'm starting to feel like my indifference to rust is bad. I mean I don't let it build up so that it flakes and dusts the meat

I'm sure your public will let you know when it's time whether they be family,friends, or the other half!

Don't let it get to you, My link library is wide and deep! But after researching so many things that, are work or one important step is so often let out. When I find sires that have good info I like to pass them on :becky:
:thumb:

Back