THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mrboy

Full Fledged Farker
Royal Oak lump is usually a quality product, by my last 30# bag has about as much rock as charcoal in it (a little exaggeration).

But I'm not kidding, there are rocks as big as my fists in this bag!

I've seen that and not just in Royal Oak. Also in Cowboy and Western. I used to think it was to add weight but I've been told it's pieces that break off in the kiln which sounds more realistic. Not ideal but I don't think it was placed there for dishonest reasons. Kilns break down and I don't think anyone wants to pay $100 for a 20lb bag that has been hand sorted. They scoop and ship. It is what it is.

They are added as heat sinks.The rocks heat up as the charcoal is burning and keeps your cooker hotter longer.You should thank them.They are doing you a favor.If it was all charcoal you would loose heat faster.My thoughts.

Back