THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

B

bkillam

I found what would appear to be a great deal on a rotisserie smoker. It's the base model, backyard version from Heartland (the 2430). I currently use a Horizon offset smoker – also their base model.

The Heartland model has a larger cooking capacity and four rotating shelves. I like that. I also like the idea of the rotisserie to avoid hotspots, which my Horizon has always suffered from.

The uncertainty comes in three major areas:

(1) I don't know how significantly different/better a rotisserie smoker is (it seems to be a better idea). And I don't know if this one is good due to the placement of the firebox to the food chamber. (it looks like it could produce a significant hot spot, but the rotaries feature should alleviate that.)

(2) The Horizon smoker is all 1/4 inch steel throughout whereas the heartland model is 3/16 inch steel in the food chamber and the firebox is 1/8". (I can cook in either chamber of my Horizon.)

(3) I don't know Heartland and can't find our too much about them (reviews, reliability, etc).

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
http://www.heartlandcookers.com/sit...cookers.com/Leg___Stand_Model_Cooker.php#2756

After looking at the picture, the set up for the firebox is just like a Good One. They have the firebox that runs across the whole cooking chamber. Yes, there will be a hot spot along the back, but with the rotisserie, you won't have to worry about it. As for cooking in the winter, if you have problems, you can put a welding blanket over it to keep the heat in.

And you can get a Convection Plate
The 16" drop-in Convection Plate fits all 16" Horizon smokers. It is made from 1/4" thick plate steel and eliminates "Hot Spots" during the slow smoking process.
PRICE: $45.00

I have the convection plate, but there is still a significant temp difference between ends of the cooking chamber.

At the cost I'm looking at, I could easily sell my Horizon and make it a zero sum gain. Does anyone see this as a significant improvement over the Horizon? I do get great ribs, brisket, and pulled pork from my Horizon, but I do ribs at one end and pork/brisket at the other.

At the cost I'm looking at, I could easily sell my Horizon and make it a zero sum gain. Does anyone see this as a significant improvement over the Horizon? I do get great ribs, brisket, and pulled pork from my Horizon, but I do ribs at one end and pork/brisket at the other.

I think it would be an improvement. You would not have to move anything during a cook and I believe you can get a longer burn time on fuel with the firebox on the Heartland. If you do get the Heartland, I can help you with fire management, as the firebox is just like a Good One.

There is one draw back I just came to mind. You will not be able to use a thermometer in your meat, the wire will get tangled.

Back