THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thanks for the advice.

I should have probably given more info on the ribs we had sunday. I decided I didn't want to foil as I usually prefer crisp outside vs soft and mushy. well in most food but again smoking is new to me. Took about 7 hours at 225 to 250 and brought it too 205 IT. and It was too smokey. prob at least 1/4"of smoke ring and still a lot of fat but actually not much of a bark, but then I don't really know what is normal for that. I thought the fat would have rendered more based on what I had read. (most of the family is afraid of fat) trimmed fat off pieces but no one enjoyed the ribs. I also think I probably had too much wood in with the briquettes (weber briquettes). oak was what I used but too much prob. I seasoned with montreal steak seasoning but think maybe I went a little heavy with that too.

thinking it would have been better to go with wrapping them after maybe 1/2 the time. Also the ribs may just have been a poor bunch. they were quite variable in meat to fat content.

I don't have a deflector, should I use one, seems most of the info I read about in the build indicated not to bother with one. my grill is about 28 "above the bottom of the charcoal basket.

I think we will go the chicken route next time or maybe the meatloaf. I will see what the consensus in the family is and go with that.

thanks for the advice, keep it coming if you think you have anything to add. I do appreciate it.

I should have probably given more info on the ribs we had sunday. I decided I didn't want to foil as I usually prefer crisp outside vs soft and mushy. well in most food but again smoking is new to me. Took about 7 hours at 225 to 250 and brought it too 205 IT. and It was too smokey. prob at least 1/4"of smoke ring and still a lot of fat but actually not much of a bark, but then I don't really know what is normal for that. I thought the fat would have rendered more based on what I had read. (most of the family is afraid of fat) trimmed fat off pieces but no one enjoyed the ribs. I also think I probably had too much wood in with the briquettes (weber briquettes). oak was what I used but too much prob. I seasoned with montreal steak seasoning but think maybe I went a little heavy with that too.

thinking it would have been better to go with wrapping them after maybe 1/2 the time. Also the ribs may just have been a poor bunch. they were quite variable in meat to fat content.

I don't have a deflector, should I use one, seems most of the info I read about in the build indicated not to bother with one. my grill is about 28 "above the bottom of the charcoal basket.

I think we will go the chicken route next time or maybe the meatloaf. I will see what the consensus in the family is and go with that.

thanks for the advice, keep it coming if you think you have anything to add. I do appreciate it.

Deflector in or out is a personal opinion kinda thing. Deflector out you will get a traditional bbq flavor with grease smoke which can be overwhelming to some depending on what you cook but for some foods actually enhance the flavor if there isn’t too much fat. Like I said it’s a personal opinion kinda thing. Also without the heat deflector some like to rotate the rack periodically to ensure even cooking of the meat. I personally would’ve cooked with a deflector on beef ribs knowing how fatty they are. Also a little smoke goes a long way. Start with 1 chunk of wood and see how you like it. You can always add more on later cooks. Things like chicken breast cooked with no deflector may not even need wood. After adding the wood make sure to allow the white smoke to clear before adding the meat. It should take 30-45 minutes until you get a more transparent or blue smoke.

A couple of things I have learned.

I used to use way to many wood chunks along with the charcoal leading to what I thought was overly smoked meat. I now think it may have been a combination of too many wood chunks put on the fire before the coals were hot enough giving me a kind of dirty smoke.

Meatloaf is fairly easy and forgiving, just don't overcook. Chicken to me has been a problem. I get best results when I spatchcock the bird. Brining for a couple of hours can make a big difference also.

One other thing; veggies are great when smoked. I'm talkin corn on the cob, onions, garlic, potatoes, cauliflower, etc.

I would do a pork butt, bone in Boston Butt.
very easy and it has a built in thermometer, when the bone pulls out easy and clean its done.

If you don't mind a long cook I agree with doing pulled pork. If trying to avoid over smoking use less wood in the fire box and maybe foil around 120-140. Make sure a probe slides in easily before pulling it. I made the mistake of going to 200 IT the first time and realized I need to go to 210 before it is tender. I think leaving the top vent open on the UDS and controlling temps with bottom vents might help with the over smoking as well.

I agree with others that a bone-in pork Boston butt is the way to go. If you want simple, forget about rub recipes and just cover it with SPOG: salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. Smoke to an internal temp of about 203F, no wrap, no baste, no injection. Then let rest loosely covered on the counter till it’s cool enough to pull.

Pull it using two big forks and mix the meat thoroughly so any big spoon- or hand-full will contain some good charred bits from the outside and some interior meat. Google recipes for East North Carolina pulled pork barbecue sauce — usually just white or Apple cider vinegar, water, and red pepper flakes, but there are more complicated recipes if you wish. Sprinkle some sauce over the meat before serving then put the remaining sauce on the table for use while eating.

Serve with cheap white bread and cole slaw (you can google ENC slaw recipes if you wish). You can make sandwiches with the bread, meat, slaw, and sauce or serve separately on a plate.

The awesomeness of this dish, balanced against its simplicity, ease, and low risk of a screwup, is unmatched IMHO. You might be able to make something better or tastier (though many will disagree even with that), but IMHO anything else will involve more complexity, more work, and/or more risk of failure.

Also, for future reference, I suggest you get a book called Smoke & Spice. I used it when I was starting out 25 or 30 years ago and it’s a great beginners book because it addresses techniques as well as simple but great recipes. All these years later, after trying countless other recipes, I still turn most often back to its recipes for turkey, brisket, NC-style pork, and others.

Good luck!!!

Last edited:
Back