Rod Anderson (Buster Dog BBQ)

ModelMaker

Quintessential Chatty Farker
I'm passing along a blast e-mail from the Iowa BBQ Society concerning lending a hand to our freind Rod from Buster Dog.

Please pass on to any other groups you feel would help out.
Ed

As some of you know, one of our long time members and our webmaster, Rod Anderson (Buster Dog BBQ) is fighting terminal cancer and it’s time for the Iowa BBQ Society to get involved.

Their medical bills are no doubt piling up and they have a 14 year old son at home, so, along with some of their friends, we are hosting a fund raiser for Rod, Dawn & David on Saturday, March 19th from 10 am – 4 pm. There will be a free will offering for a plate of a pulled pork sandwich, beans, chips & soft drink. The location has not been totally determined but we will definitely let you know.

We know there are many of you that would like to take part and we feel it is probably the easiest to take donations to purchase the pork, buns, beans, chips and soda/water. They are thinking there will be around 300 of their friends in attendance, which we hope includes many of us bbq members.

We have asked Shad & Darren along with Woody to smoke the pork butts and make the beans.

We would love to have you join us that day to help serve and take part in the auction. If you are not able to join us, we hope you will consider an additional donation that will go towards Rods’ expenses.

If you are willing to make a contribution to purchase the food, please make the check to the Iowa BBQ Society and send directly to our treasurer, Mike Whitney @ 515 Oak Blvd, Huxley, IA 50124. These checks need to be at Mike’s place no later than March 9th. If you are not able to join the fundraiser and would like to make a donation, that check can be written to Rod Anderson and mailed to Anne Rehnstrom at 8838 Meredith Dr., Urbandale, IA 50322.

An auction will also be held. A friend of Dawn’s is heading up this aspect of the fund raiser. If you have items that you would like to donate to the auction, please contact Sara Anderson @ srscott99@msn.com or 515-229-9207.

We are also asking everyone to put the fund raiser on their Facebook page and Mike T, would you put it on the BBQ Forum? The more people that know about the better the event should be.
Any questions, please contact Anne Rehnstrom @ 515-223-2622 or arehnstrom@pork.org. We look forward to hearing from you. And I know the Anderson’s are going to be very grateful for this event.

Anne L. Rehnstrom
Secretary
Iowa BBQ Society
515-223-2622
515-223-3549 (fax)
arehnstrom@pork.org

Please conserve our natural resources, think twice before you print this e-mail.

This message contains confidential information belonging to The National Pork Board and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by email if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses and The National Pork Board does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please request a hard-copy from: The National Pork Board, P.O. Box 9114, Des Moines, IA 50306. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of The National Pork Board.

Rod, Dawn, and David are some of the nicest people you could ever hope to meet. I spoke to Sara Anderson yesterday, and two gift certificates for Opa's sausage should be leaving Fredericksburg, Texas today.

Here is my offer... I hope other brothers can follow suit as well..

Hello Sara,

My name is Scottie Johnson and my BBQ Team is cancersuckschicago.com. I’d like to do something to help out friends from our BBQ World. I am not sure which way you would like to go with my offer? I’ve had a little luck in the BBQ World with my cooking skills over the years, as I was fortunate to win the World Championship a few years ago. My offer is this. Would it be better for me to offer (for auction) an opportunity for a winning bidder to cook with me at the Waterloo BBQ contest and learn my secrets or for me to just donate money to assist them? I will set a minimum price, which I will cover for the auction, to make sure that the prize generates some cash. My wife passed away from cancer in 2003, leaving myself and my 2 young girls that were not quite 2 and 5 years old when she left us. I know the importance of getting support during these tough times. While I can’t say I know where the Anderson’s are at, I have a real good grasp of where they are at. I currently have a annual BBQ class to raise money for cancer research (I have a 501 c(3) in my wife’s name) and last month was able to raise $25,000 for the cause. Usually we charge students $500 to attend the class. So the cost of the auction could go high, or you could just take my donation? I will do whatever you would like. I am not sure if you want to talk to Dawn or Rod, but will do whatever you all decide.

I also have my BBQ Team’s t-shirts that are quite popular out on the circuit. I had sent some to Rod and Dawn a couple of months ago. I would be willing to donate some of those for the auction as well. I generally sell them for $20 for my foundation, so these could also bring in some funds for the auction.

My heart just breaks for them. Having gone through this hell, I can relate. It is just tragic how cancer can just rip apart a loving family.

Please, anyway I can help, I will do my best to help out a brother. Do not be shy to ask for help and assistance. While it is hard to accept the offers that others try to give during these hard times, I know that they overwhelm you as a family. I do know it truly is much appreciated, even if not accepted.

Good luck with this event. I would like to say I will be able to make it, but just can’t commit right now.

You are a good person for doing this for them.

All the best,

Scottie Johnson
Cancersuckschicago.com

ps I am more than willing to offer more private cooking lessons at BBQ comps. Not sure if they would be in Iowa, but if you feel that we can generate more cash, I am all for it.

Rod has been one of my good friends since the day we met at our local cigar shop 5 years ago. He was the one that got me into comp BBQ and I feel so bad for Dawn, David, and their entire family. I have visited him everyday in the hospital since last Thursday and tonight was especially tough to see him. He is such a great guy and a great family man. Let me know what I can do in helping put together the function on the 19th.

Chris Bagby
Albino Rhino BBQ

Rod has been one of my good friends since the day we met at our local cigar shop 5 years ago. He was the one that got me into comp BBQ and I feel so bad for Dawn, David, and their entire family. I have visited him everyday in the hospital since last Thursday and tonight was especially tough to see him. He is such a great guy and a great family man. Let me know what I can do in helping put together the function on the 19th.

Chris Bagby
Albino Rhino BBQ

Thanks for the update Chris, maybe you could keep us informed every couple days. I know we are all interested and certainly don't want to bother Dawn.
Please keep them in your daily prayers.
Ed

Does anyone know if there is a Paypal option for making donations?

Anne from Iowa BBQ Society wanted me to post this for those of you wanting to donate money.

"wow - can you let the team that asked about paypal that right now, no, we are taking checks as far as I know. It can be made out to Rod Anderson Fundraiser and mailed to me at 8838 Meredith Dr. Urbandale 50322 and I will get it deposited in to his account @ Wells Fargo."

That would be.

Rod Anderson Fundraiser
attn: Anne Rehnstrom
8838 Meredith Dr.
Urbandale IA 50322

THANKS ALL.
Ed

Hey guys Sara and I work together. I can check with her about paypal. Maybe she can make take the payments or check with Dawn if she has paypal account.

I can tell you she is working VERY hard on this. She told me today that someone donated a bottle of gentleman jack signed by five winners of the Jack!

In reading the update blog post this morning sending prayers of comfort for Rod and family. We have donated a contest entry to Smokin On Big Creek BBQ contest April 1 and 2. I hope that if other organizers see this they will too!

Hey guys Sara and I work together. I can check with her about paypal. Maybe she can make take the payments or check with Dawn if she has paypal account.

I can tell you she is working VERY hard on this. She told me today that someone donated a bottle of gentleman jack signed by five winners of the Jack!

Sara is doing a great job. We've talked, and exchanged several emails. She is clearly committed to doing everything possible to making this event as successful as possible. The folks from the IBS are no different. Since I live too far away to be able to do much to support Rod, Dawn, and David it's comforting to me to see how much others are doing for them.

They have my thanks, and I hope that others will take the time to thank them for everything they are doing for our mutual friends.

I hope I can make the auction. I know who donated this, they won it at the banquet. Wish I had done one for myself when I did it. but I guess this will work out better in the long run...

Back