THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just curious, but if the WSM and a UDS are already set and forget, why the need for this type of equipment? I can see if for bigger rigs and set ups where you need to move air faster and compensate for temps drops more quickly, but why in a WSM or UDS or Kettle, or smaller units?
If a person can already get 10+++ hour steady burns on these units, how does this type of technology make it better. Most times, steady is a difference of 5 degrees or so just by the unit on its own.
Interesting topic.

Bob

i agree with this. add big green eggs in with that mix. every single time i do a long, overnight cook and i set my alarm to get up, my temp is always holding rock solid....

No! it's their fault for false advertisement! They show two DIGIQ DX's correct? A green one for $179 and a blue one for $179. The BLUE unit say's $179, (NO Fan, No adaptor) THAT's simple! Then you look at the Green Digiq DX and it say's build a package for $179 PEROID!!! End of story! I think they (GURU) should put the real price of ($271-$291) on the Green DigiQ build a package, since it's not the $179 they advertise. The Green unit makes a person believe it's $179, when it's not.
http://www.thebbqguru.com/categories/BBQ-Guru-Controls-and-Packages/

Did you notice that when you select the various options it has pricing like (+72) for a 10 cfm fan those prices get totaled when you choose the last option which happens to be color. Also did you test your theory that the green cost more by selecting the no fan no adapter blue unit then choose the color green (no change in price). I have a guru I use on my WSM, best $300 I ever spent.

Attachments

• bbq guru.JPG
    bbq guru.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 121
  • bbqguru2.bmp
    628.2 KB · Views: 143
Gotta smile at the underlined passage. I was born and raised in Michigan, and have anti-freeze for my blood. You're a Virginia guy: you don't know what cold is. :-D

I am not a cold weather fan. The only things good about winter are hunting and football seasons. When they are over, I have had enough of winter time.

I just bought a guru last week and it is black and around $300 is the going rate. My pit already had the tube out of the smoke box but the guru ran $300. I used it this weekend and it is a nice piece of equipment and it really helps you get the most out of your charcoal. I would recommend getting one if you cook alot. Mine is the DX also came with a probe to check the meat temp.

I don't think the Guru site is being deceptive. I spent about two weeks researching these devices and I spent a lot of time on the Guru web site. I never got confused by the pricing or the site navigation.

Me neither. Guess I'm lucky that that sorta stuff doesn't confuse me.

Maybe I'm looking at Guru's info wrong, but don't believe so. Once you enter a color on the guru web site, the price jumps $100! It's posted at $179 I just entered the standard items, 10 cfm fan, bulkhead adapter,standard meat probe, standard pit probe, and color, boom! Price jumps. They should just put the $291 on the selling price to begin with instead of $179... I just want fan and pit probe, I don't care about meat sensor.
kind of like buying a car...the accessories add up.

Jest,

Do us all a favor: start a thread and tell us more about how to make your own charcoal. I was thinking about that today, and I'd like to know more, and I'd bet our brothers & sisters would too.

Back