THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I've also had no issues with the snake method using lump when I had my performer. I just made sure that the lump chunks were similarily sized as mentioned.

Here is the set up. I lit a "creeper" fire from both ends and it was locked and I mean locked at 275* the whole 4 1/2-ish hour cook. No problems whatsoever.

20140607_144600.jpg

Leftover after the cook

20140607_185348.jpg

Yep! It works better especially because I use lump exclusively.

Is this a homemade grate or could this be purchased somewhere? I've looked online and can't seem to find one anywhere. I could pick up another grate and just crisscross it with the other, but having something like this would be more ideal.

Is this a homemade grate or could this be purchased somewhere? I've looked online and can't seem to find one anywhere. I could pick up another grate and just crisscross it with the other, but having something like this would be more ideal.

It's just another Weber 22 charcoal grate available everywhere from Home Depot, Lowes, Amazon etc.

I bought a second one plus some bolts, large wahsers and nuts and attached them together.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Weber-7441-Replacement-Charcoal-Grates/dp/B000WEKNMY"]Amazon.com : Weber 7441 Replacement Charcoal Grates : Freestanding Grills : Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41VjBosixQL.@@AMEPARAM@@41VjBosixQL[/ame]

I like that charcoal grate, it seems like it would help from all those smaller pieces towards the bottom of the bag from falling through and clogging up my intake.

Here's something that occured to me awhile ago....

set snake of briquettes as usual....

3-6-2013Beef003.jpg

Wood....

3-6-2013Beef005.jpg

Then sprinkle a batch of those "useless" lump chips that usually fall thru over the chain, mostly along the outer edge where they are less likely to just fall down into the lower area.........you may lose a few, but not a big deal..........

3-6-2013Beef007.jpg

Burn insurance for the chain....works nice & works well with an all lump chain also.......

why go through the trouble of bolting them together? I've just got mine turned 90°, and sitting one on top of the other.

Not much trouble really. Just wanted to have a one piece grate. One unit really.

Back