THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you foil your pork ribs

• I used to but no longer

Votes: 11 8.9%
  • I do occasionally

Votes: 69 55.6%
  • No crutch for me

Votes: 44 35.5%

• Total voters

Fwismoker

somebody shut me the fark up.
I'd love to do a poll on this but evidently i'm technologically challenged.

Ok I once was a 3-2-1 (er) but now i drop the 2 and drop the 1. Lots of reasons for this but primarily through experience I found that i can get as good or better quality with no braising. I'm sure there are exceptions but i'd guess the majority of folks that have bbq'd for a while no longer use the crutch....But i can't figure out the darn poll thing. ugh :frusty:

OBTW the reason i said (pork) is because i will foil beef.

I tried the 3-2-1....way too mushy...been backing off...now 2.5ish then 45 min in foil then 30 or so til done and pass the bend test

I am not opposed to using foil. I prefer to go nekkid with the ribs, but sometimes the cook dictates if I have to foil. I only foil if the color starts getting to dark.

Now if I was doing competition ribs, I would definitely foil w/ butter, brown sugar, rub, and a liquid/hot sauce to impart even more flavor for 1 bite bbq.

I have tried it at home and the ribs are just too sweet/rich for my tastes and I can't eat anymore after a couple of bones even though I'm still hungry.

Too dark?
Preserve the color?

BBQ ain't supposed to be pretty!

Foil is for the competition section. :wink:

Last edited:
I am not opposed to using foil. I prefer to go nekkid with the ribs, but sometimes the cook dictates if I have to foil. I only foil if the color starts getting to dark.

Now if I was doing competition ribs, I would definitely foil w/ butter, brown sugar, rub, and a liquid/hot sauce to impart even more flavor for 1 bite bbq.

I have tried it at home and the ribs are just too sweet/rich for my tastes and I can't eat anymore after a couple of bones even though I'm still hungry.

:thumb:

I compete; I foil 100% of the time.

I cater; I foil 100% of the time.

I cook at home for family and friends; I foil 100% of the time.

Consistency.

Didnt answer your poll above, there is no entry for 100% of the time.

I forgot to add only foil to the poll...i guess i had no foil on the brain.

It sounds like there is a good mix of both...comps use foil and home is a blend leaning toward not? At least thats the jist i get.

Back