THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

J

Juicy

I was wondering what cut of ribs do teams use in competition?

you'll find a fair mix of both babybacks and spareribs..

some regions may have a slightly high % of one vs. the other.

cook what you cook best..

i use baby backs. i like them better becaus ethey have more meat on them and are easier to eat. so i perefer them for comps also. i also judge and i have seen more babys backs than i have the spares.

You're competing at Princeton, WI right? Then I would recommend Bubba's advice :-D

As Vinny mentioned, you find a mix of both.

You're competing at Princeton, WI right? Then I would recommend Bubba's advice :-D

As Vinny mentioned, you find a mix of both.

umm.... maybee i missed something but bubbas advice was to use beef ribs and k.c.b.s. rules specificaly state pork ribs. here is the link to check
http://www.kcbs.us/pdf/KCBS_Rules_and_Regulations_2009.pdf

and yes i will be in princeton. hopefully the weather hold out, it was suposed to be clear now they are forcastinf 30% chance of scatterd t-storms on fri.

Cook what u cook best.. judges wont care and a good st louie will beat a bad babyback any day.

LOL at BBQchef33! Seriously, cook what you cook best and enjoy eating. Rarely
has anyone gone wrong with that. MIM/MBA, around here GBA and FBA are mostly
baby backs. I dont recall ever a sparerib entry taking one of those. KCBS, from what
I understand, is a mixture. A really good rib entry of any type can win.

St. Louis for us as well. everywhere from 3rd to 59th with 'em:shock: Its pretty important to cook them right I guess:icon_blush:

Here in Dixie it seems to be about even between St. Louis spares and Baby Backs.

We use spares, a specific product from the same packing house each time.

Back