Ribeye steaks with rub. Tasty but not needed.

edmonds

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Steve
I won some rubs on the Live Fire Grilling ThrowDown a while back.
A video of that live-fire cook (beef ribs, steak, and shrimp), including fingerpicking country blues, is now available here.

For steaks I usually use only coarse salt, but I wanted to try out the Peppered Cow rub.
So I sprinkled both sides of ribeye steaks with Hawaiian salt, lightly dusted one side with Peppered Cow, and let steaks sit at RT for 1 hour.
Grilled indirect about 15 min to IT=125F, then reverse seared.

The Peppered Cow seasoning is beefy and robust, and makes a very good alternative seasoning for steak.
But I must admit that I prefer good steaks "plain."
Think I'll try the rub on my next skirt steak.

Ribeyes seasoned before grilling

And now after cooking

More times than not adding rub on a steak just interferers with the sear and burns. It's also a distraction and detracts from the natural flavor and savoryness of a good steak.

More times than not adding rub on a steak just interferers with the sear and burns. It's also a distraction and detracts from the natural flavor and savoryness of a good steak.

I agree that a great steak only needs some salt to achieve perfection.

Yea, using only salt is my standard method. The coarse salt draws water out of the meat by osmosis, dissolves, and then is absorbed back into the meat.

I raise my own Dexter beef, which has a great beefy flavor and doesn't need anything beyond salt.
On our way home from Tgiving, we stopped at an Outback Steakhouse and I got a small sirloin.
They use a seasoning, and it was good, but it seemed thin with no real beefy flavor to back it up.
I think it starts with a good cut of beef.

I'm the other way around, I prefer a steak with something besides just salt on it. Peppered Cow is a good one, my current favorite is 407BBQ rub, similar to Peppered Cow, but more peppery.

Back