THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

some good ideas here, however I will throw in my 3 cents..
look at the pre rub oil, it will impart flavor (I do not use)
let rub sit on ribs and wrap in plastiwrap for a couple hours at least
try some turbinado sprinkled on top after you put on cooking racks, this will seal your rub in..
watch you hickory wood, it seems to darken your bark, also look at exhaust and run that wide open, also look at smoke pattern inside.
you should taste the diffenent flavor profiles between the rubs and the common factor is your oil and type of wood. The ribs should have enough moisture to support themselves, they will look dry and then they start to glaze over again. I sometimes spritz with apple or pinea;;ple juice, but think about the common ties to your cooking procedure or even write it down then lok at the common points and then the different points, hopefully one of the ideas will click for you and help out..good luck..

Even though you don't taste over-smokiness, I would assume that the flavor of the rub is burning out in the bark and the smoke is what you're really tasting. I would try a foil method a bit earlier to see if it will leave more rub flavor on there and use the heat to cook them. Use your rub liberally, preferably the night before, redust in the morning, and foil after a while. That should allow more flavor through.

I have noticed same thing when cooking with my offset cookers using all wood and I always figured it had to be creosote or just the extra smoke. I seemed to notice more changes in texture and tenderness from different rubs (sugar vs no sugar, etc.) more than seasoning flavors in wood-fired offsets. I get totally different colors and flavors when using vertical smokers predominately fueled by charcoal. I figured most would simply dismiss it as improper technique and fire control, but I kinda doubt that would always be the case. My wife has an extremely sensitive pallet and can tell the different in rubs in the offset, but unfortunately for me, I usually can't. Seasoning the night before did not seem to work out when I did ribs because they would get too salty/hammy and obviously I thought it changed the texture... maybe I just did it too long.

Go Big Red

Did the ribs with just salt and pepper come out of the smoker with a different color than the other racks? Most rubs have a fair amount of sugar or brown sugar and are heat sensitive on the high end. Stick burners are sometimes suseptable to heat spikes and overheated sugar tastes like overheated sugar. The common flavor could be overheated sugar. Most rubs are very similar--if you read 100 rub recipes the same ingredients come up time after time---kosher salt--turbinado sugar or brown sugar--black pepper in various grinds--some form of paprika--then other spices.

If I was in your predicament I would experiment. I would rub some racks of ribs with different rubs---and cook them in my oven at the same temperature that I cook them in the smoker----and then taste the ribs. This experiment would remove the equation of wood or smoke flavor and remove heat spike problems.

I would never ever tell any of my BBQ friends that I "baked" ribs. I would post the results on BBQ Brethren, and say my "neighbor" experimented and told me about it.

Next time I drive thru scenic Nebraska--headed to the sand hills of Wheeler County maybe I will stop by.

My advice would be similar to what others have said:

1) apply more rub
2) give the rub more time to work into the meat- overnight if possible
3) once the ribs achieve a nice dark red color, but before the sugars burn, wrap in foil for the rest of the cook
4) if that still doesn't help you tell the difference between the different rubs, start looking for a new tongue :tongue:.

Go Big Red

Did the ribs with just salt and pepper come out of the smoker with a different color than the other racks? Most rubs have a fair amount of sugar or brown sugar and are heat sensitive on the high end. Stick burners are sometimes suseptable to heat spikes and overheated sugar tastes like overheated sugar. The common flavor could be overheated sugar. Most rubs are very similar--if you read 100 rub recipes the same ingredients come up time after time---kosher salt--turbinado sugar or brown sugar--black pepper in various grinds--some form of paprika--then other spices.

If I was in your predicament I would experiment. I would rub some racks of ribs with different rubs---and cook them in my oven at the same temperature that I cook them in the smoker----and then taste the ribs. This experiment would remove the equation of wood or smoke flavor and remove heat spike problems.

I would never ever tell any of my BBQ friends that I "baked" ribs. I would post the results on BBQ Brethren, and say my "neighbor" experimented and told me about it.

Next time I drive thru scenic Nebraska--headed to the sand hills of Wheeler County maybe I will stop by.
Thanks for the tips!

Yeah, it seems a common theme here is that I didn't use enough rub so I caramelized all of the rub and took out the flavor.

That is one heck of a trip for you to be out here. That drive though the sandhills sure is a "fun" one. :loco:

Back