THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uncle JJ

Full Fledged Farker
Been reading this cookbook by Adam Perry Lang. He has what I would call an ACTIVE method of grilling - not inconsistent with reverse sear, but more moving the meat around. He also calls for a 10-30 minute resting of the meat before searing. Using his recommended brush made of fresh thyme, scallion, rosemary, etc. to brush on baste. Thought I'd give it a try with a 4.5 pound standing rib roast (cut into two steaks).
photo.JPG

photo1.jpg

Meat On:
photo (3).jpg

100* internal - resting for 30 min:
photo (4).jpg

My helpers:
photo (5).jpg

Finished and resting for 15 min (the photo doesnt do it justice):
photo (8).jpg

My daughter's plate. Juicy, delicious!!photo (9).jpg

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 188
Can't argue with those results! that looks great!

It looks like you had excellent helpers!

Last edited:
Great looking cook. I have done his tri-tip (which i wasn't the biggest fan of) and his fleur de sel short ribs (which are awesome) what did you think about his flavor profiles for the standing rib roast?

What did you like and didn't like about it?

When I have time, I like to do APL recipes - a fair amount of work, but great results!

Looks like you got it good with the delicious grub and the awesome help! :thumb:

Thanks, guys! I couldn't (wouldn't) do it without my helpers. One's a good cook, and the other just loves to watch, listen to music and enjoy some fresh air!

aawa, I used the basic baste - butter, evo, garlic, soy, worcestershire, onion, and a little ketchup & mustard. It worked perfectly, as it didn't overwhelm the beef taste. I think it's a fun way to cook, but you do have to ride the grill for an hour or so. Lots of turning and basting, which gave the meat an even carmelization. APL uses an extra rack raised off the grill by bricks. I didn't do that this time - just got it up to 100* on the empty side of the grill and occasionally held it over the hot fire.

I'd do it again.

Looks delicious Uncle JJ! Your helpers are real cuties too. :-D

I need to check his books out. I saw him cook at the Royal and he did two very thick ribeyes like what you have there. It was very interesting how he cooked them and intriguing also.

Back