THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JiveTurkey

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
JT
Last year I helped my neighbor move and he gave me his propane Vermont Castings pit for free. He maybe used it once, it was super clean inside. The propane didn't work too well for me so I sealed up the side vents and bottom, sealed the door, new temp guage, and made it into a charcoal pit.

Last week I did a competition on it and it wasn't so great for that but for home cookin it's pretty sweet. Stainless steel, double insulated walls, water/no water, it's a good home pit. Tonight for the super bowl I made a rib roast so here's some prono!

Cheers yalls!

Not a bad toy for free
Pd8ALSz.jpg

Top vent
Dys0qiq.jpg

I sealed the side vents since they leaked a lot and added ball valves
MAARWHJ.jpg

Inside. Bottom sealed.
YgzFiNV.jpg

Charcoal basket, racks
xa7iNXn.jpg

One rib roast for me and the lady
dUnR98J.jpg

Rib roast on. Sheet metal to cover the charcoal basket, prevents blast of air when I open the door.
9RKZdTO.jpg

Cruisin at 265. When meat hit 110 I cranked pit to 300 to brown exterior
WGSLVpH.jpg

I pulled at 125, rested, carry over took temp to 135! I think leaving the bones attached while it rested carried the temp a little too high.
Tg6LtWp.jpg

Overcooked just a little bit but it was still good eats.
YdPi9bj.jpg

Go Niners! We'll get 'em next year!

Thanks Badger. If carry over had not gone so long I might have posted more pics of the food instead of the pit! Still a fun cook though. Thanks!

Back