Rib Membrane

I don't season that side at all. The side with the membrane.

If you don't take off the membrain you are crazy.

And wild too. :lol:

wild_and_crazy_guys.jpg

My magic number is 5....5 or below, I remove the membrane. More than 5, it stays on. I don't have that kind of time.

Someone said it takes 30 seconds to remove.....not usually the case for me...occasionally, but not usually.

Most restaurants don't remove.....I imagine they have a magic number as well......probably theirs is 1.

If I am cooking for my family, friends, or those that know 'Q, I remove. If it's for a party, you know 'em, <friday phone call @ 9pm> 'Hey, I got 75 people coming over tomorrow round 2pm, can you do ribs and butts for me, and have it ready at 6pm <click>, I don't remove, cuz they're prolly too drunk to know good 'Q anyhow. Gallons of sauce, 'why isn't the pulled pork covered in sauce', 'This isn't Open Pit, I won't eat it if it isn't Open Pit':roll::roll::roll:. But if my buddies are happy, and I'm supplied with enough pressurized adult beverages...no harm, right:lol:

I don't remove the membrane because anyone that does is stoopid. And I am not stoopid. Plus 15000 years ago you think they did? My people have been eating all their lives.

I would like to congratulate Hugh on posting a compelling thread while not inciting riots. Now I can get back to my rightful place and the inciter of riots.

Seriously, I don't because doing it to 100 racks is a pain and if I HAD to like at a competition I do hot and fast sinew down the damn thing nearly falls off anyway. I don't usually glaze. And my ribs have a bite to them but will pull (NO PEEL) off the bone with some work.

MY ribs benefit from leaving the skin on because of my rub and my process. I do not necessarily think everyone should follow this though and if your competing you better take it off.

15,000 years ago people died from the flu.:razz:

Dont get me wrong, I'm not saying your wrong, I'm just saying we get better at things.:mrgreen:

That paper skin gets cought in my teeth, and I dont like it.8)

I can't believe this thread has been goin for a full day almost and only has 3 pages.

Why are you guys arguing without me? You know I want some o' dat!

There are more leavers on than I thought there would be. It's breaking down pretty much like I thought though. Seems like most would take it off mainly for presentation. It don't bother me so I don't except when I am going to be sharing it with guests that are not funky enough to understand.

Funky enough to understand what? Laziness?

Restaurants leave it on because:
1-They either have to do it themselves or pay someone to remove it.
2-Their customers for the most part do not have a clue what the membrane is anyhow so they just dont mess with it.
3-When the ribs are overcooked it helps keep the slabs intact which is a trick of the trade to get the fall off the bone ribs onto a plate.

I do not care what anyone does with their food. Cook it in the cryovac for all I care. that would be real funky.

:eek: N8mans's anwser in SAT analogy question format

MEMBRANE : RIB ::
(A) condom : penis
(B) cow : farm
(C) dam: beaver
(D) litter box : cat
(E) bookmark : book

(A)
like pissing while wearing a condom. :biggrin:

15,000 years ago people died from the flu.:razz:

Dont get me wrong, I'm not saying your wrong, I'm just saying we get better at things.:mrgreen:

That paper skin gets cought in my teeth, and I dont like it.8)

See how stoopid your words are Hugh. STILL!!!!

Watch us all dies from the flu too this season.

I knew I shoulda put those words in quotes so people would realize where it came from.

I gave props in that line too to Rick for saying "My people have been eating all their lives.

From what I have read most people remove before they tossem in the pot of Boiling water.

If you bake them for 1 hour prior to boiling them it makes removing the membrane easier. Then toss them onto your George Foreman grill, slather in Kraft "Sweet and Bold" and TA DA! Real BBQ!

Seriously though...I remove the membrane because that is what the Brethren here told me to do when I was "looking for wood."

If you bake them for 1 hour prior to boiling them it makes removing the membrane easier. Then toss them onto your George Foreman grill, slather in Kraft "Sweet and Bold" and TA DA! Real BBQ!

Seriously though...I remove the membrane because that is what the Brethren here told me to do when I was "looking for wood."

Has anyone challenged the humility of the status "Looking for Wood?" I mean... was that term intentional.

Let's wait for someone to come in as a newbie and attack the first thing you said in your paragraph as what you really mean. LOL

I just finished prepping 3 racks: the membranes came off easily enough, no hassle.
When I remember to, and if they come off on the first or second pull, well that's good enough for me; otherwise, no big deal.

Be sure to pull off that silverskin. :biggrin:

Attachments

• 0705silverlgvt0.jpg
    0705silverlgvt0.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 58
Back