Rib Membrane

I am 99% certain that the ribs for Sam's and/or Costco are frozen until placed out for sales.

I have bought ribs by the case from both and they had to be thawed.

Every now and again with the un-peeled ribs I will get a rack that has been skinned and packed with the others.

Wouldn't know about the frozen thing, Tyson Fresh Meats is 10 miles away, buy them by the box. Cheaper that way. Have seen several racks with no membrane, usually from smaller Mom & Pop stores.

Wouldn't know about the frozen thing, Tyson Fresh Meats is 10 miles away, buy them by the box. Cheaper that way. Have seen several racks with no membrane, usually from smaller Mom & Pop stores.

I'm about 3 miles from a Tyson pork processing plant, can you just go there and but a case of fresh ribs or butts?
I never thought about buying direct.
ModelMaker

those are from a new experimental hybrid pig, the "sus membranous negativos" species. there's a few of those around farmersville :biggrin:

I've smoked ribs with membrane on by accident. Nobody told me to remove it. Ribs turned out ok but I need to learn a trick on removing the membrane. Don't mean to thread jack.

I've smoked ribs with membrane on by accident. Nobody told me to remove it. Ribs turned out ok but I need to learn a trick on removing the membrane. Don't mean to thread jack.

Not much of a trick actually...I just use a butter knife to get under the edge and get it started then a paper towel to hold on while you peel it off. Howz that weather over there?

I don't even use a knife or tool to get the edge of the membrane worked loose.

My trick is to use disposable industrial wiper (ie: workhorse, wypall-x, etc.) they are heavier than a paper towel and more durable. I just use the wiper to dry the backside of the rack, then with the wiper between the thumb and index finger-pinch at the edge of the membrane to get a piece pulled loose from the rack. From there you can start peeling the membrane away from the ribs.

After a bit of practice you can do this effortlessly.

Back