THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It is not a big problem to pull it off, just an unnecessary extra step in my opinion, and apparently others. I suggest he make up his own mind, try not doing it the next time maybe even cutting a slab in half, one with one without. I don't do baby backs so maybe they are different, he did not say what kind of ribs he was doing if it even makes a difference. I like cruncy peanut butter, my wife likes creamy. :decision:
Dave
Even with what i posted, I totally agree with this. One of my favorite quotes, and one that has made a great difference in how I've lived my life, is from Gregory Batson - "What we mean by information — the elementary unit of information — is a difference which makes a difference". Try both. I just wanted to post what most of the people I'm aware of felt, that the texture of a retained membrane is QUITE unpleasant.

I work from a corner with a paper towel, never tried the middle.
I will be next time tho, thanks guys!:yo:
The advantage is that that little flap one tries to grasp, working from a corner, is tiny. If one goes from the middle, one can enlarge what one is trying to grasp. Clumsy people like me need that advantage.

I have nothing helpful but has anyone ever seen Melissa Cookston remove a membrane from ribs? It's amazing. She pokes a stick thru the middle and kind of grabs it and whips it around and it's off.

I have nothing helpful but has anyone ever seen Melissa Cookston remove a membrane from ribs? It's amazing. She pokes a stick thru the middle and kind of grabs it and whips it around and it's off.
Watching women manipulate their world is my hobby. A woman's hands are amazing.

I wear latex gloves and it works well for gripping the membrane and pulling. I think it's easier than the paper towel method.

The back side of my boning knife is dull enough I can slip it in between one of the bones, usually the 2nd from the large end, and as long as I keep the dull end up I can get a pretty good handle to grab with a paper towel and off it comes. Takes some practice but I feel it's worth it in the end to not have that papery texture on the back of the bone while eating. I guess I'm just picky about it but I always notice it if its there and its a bit of a turn-off.

Back