Rib Help

Big George's BBQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
George
I have not cooked ribs in years as I am the only one in my house that likes them My Grand Kids have asked me to cook some There mother are giving me 3 racks of Baby Backs I am going to cook in my Egg About how long at 225-235 degrees I use to wrap with foil about mid way through to add some honey and brown sugar
Thanks

I'm thinking unwrapped full spare ribs could be as few as 3, depending on the specific cooker, animal, and cut. You'll get back on that bike with no trouble!

No need to wrap ribs or drown them in sweetness. Killer bark is better than drowning them in sweetness.

For killer bark, leave them unwrapped the entire cook, but spritz with apple juice every hour after two hours. At 225 degrees grate temp, expect a 4-5 hour cook for baby backs, or 5-6 hour cook for spares.

Don't drown them in sweetness. If you do, the bad guys win.

No need to wrap ribs or drown them in sweetness. Killer bark is better than drowning them in sweetness.

For killer bark, leave them unwrapped the entire cook, but spritz with apple juice every hour after two hours. At 225 degrees grate temp, expect a 4-5 hour cook for baby backs, or 5-6 hour cook for spares.

Don't drown them in sweetness. If you do, the bad guys win.

Tastes are subjective. 9/10 people usually prefer fall of the bone, slathered in a tangy sweet glaze that has set. I personally wrap to prevent the bark from turning into jerky.

I have not cooked ribs in years as I am the only one in my house that likes them My Grand Kids have asked me to cook some There mother are giving me 3 racks of Baby Backs I am going to cook in my Egg About how long at 225-235 degrees I use to wrap with foil about mid way through to add some honey and brown sugar
Thanks

I haven’t done the 3-2-1 thing in years, in fact I’ve been doing them like the video below since seeing it & have really begun to enjoy ribs again, no sugar, no super sweet ribs for me anymore.

https://youtu.be/8_Dr7CtiRxM

so 250-275 3-4 hrs if not wrapped do you need to spritz

I won't say don't spritz, I'll just tell ya that I don't. Only thing I know about temperature under 275 is that the grill is just warming up. I prefer cooking at 300-325. I begrudgingly accept 275 if that's where the cooker decides ta settle.

-D

Baby backs on my Big Joe at 265 usually only take around 3 hours total. I usually let them go 1.75 hours unwrapped, then wrap in foil with 1/2 cup of red wine for an hour, then maybe 15 minutes to sauce. Always just about fall off the bone. Enjoy!

I am figuring about 4 hrs or so for the Baby Backs at 260 in the Egg. I got a rib rack so I will be able to do all 4 racks. Should be able to sauce them in the rack too

Thanks for your some help everyone. They turned out really good- at least that what everyone said even my wife said they were really good and she does not like ribs. Got a rib rack and cook all 4 baby backs. These were some of the meatiest Baby Backs I have ever seen. It was a tight fit. Had to move the ribs around some to shut the dome of the Egg. I always cook on a raised grid. Need to replace my place setter so I can lower the grate. Started off at 265 and gradually increased the temp to 275. Took 4:45 hrs That was about 15 min looker than planned but had to get some of the other food done. Ribs were easily Bite Through very tender and really juicy. Had to sauce them off of the grill as there was no space to do so with the rib rack. I did 3 nice size racks of Baby Backs and 1 smaller rack. There were 2 racks left when everyone was done- 4 adults and 3 kids- youngest just turned 7. Oldest was 13. They all agreed that we should do this again. Went home full and happy.

Last edited:
Back