THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Free Mr. Tony

is Blowin Smoke!
I fired up the gifted egg from another brethren to use some gifted products from Iammadman. Brethren helping brethren at its finest.

At about noon I fired up the knockoff vortex, turned on the Bluetooth speaker, made a drink, and enjoyed a fall afternoon.

I left the wings naked as directed to try out the sal's hot sauce. Well, actually I did lightly salt them. I comp trimmed the thighs, and seasoned with the oakridge rub. I marinated a chicken quarter in the chiavettas for about 2 hours.

Threw on the outer ring of the vortex.

The thighs came off first. Cooked them to about 185. I left one with just the rub to taste it alone. I sauced one with some cherry BBQ sauce to try a combo.

The wings came off next. I sauced then a couple times right before coming off, and once after.

The chicken quarter came off last. As per the instructions I moved the quarter over the coals when basting and flipping. Finished it over the coals to about 175.

Per label, tightly covered in foil for 15 minutes before consuming.

Take-aways:

The oakridge chicken rub was really good, however not all that different from other rubs I've used. By itself on the tongue it is a very well balanced rub. I really enjoyed it paired with the cherry BBQ sauce.

The sal's sauce I LOVE. I would say it's sneaky hot. Didn't think it was all that hot when I tasted it from the bottle, but after eating 3 wings it was a building block sort of heat. Great sauce. I would make them exactly the same again. No additions, no subtractions. Great sauce.

The chiavettas is very similar to the Cornell sauce, and other similar marinades. It was very good over the charcoal fire, and the smell of the dripping fat and marinade is heavenly. It's similar to what they have here in Indiana called port a pit chicken. Very tasty.

Most importantly, I think I will sign up for the next trade round. It was fun to get some new stuff in the mail that is unavailable otherwise. Thanks iammadman!

Back