Reverse searing my first ribeye

dirk85

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Andy
Hello Everyone!

Before I embarass myself with the pictures of my first steps in this fantastic BBQ world, a quick introduction (couldn't find the right area for that).

New member from North Italy, where the BBQ culture is definitely not as developed as in the States.
I had the chance to live a few months in Texas, where I had the pleasure to have some mindblowingly delicious BBQs.

I spent the last few weeks reading a lot this forum, and I decided to put my limited skills at work.

Due to the coronavirus situation that is pretty severe in my area I was caught between two jobs, and my housing situation is a bit of a mess at the moment, so the tools I had for the job were limited.

All I have is this old thing

After a first try with a more modest piece of beef, I decided to risk big.
This beautiful lady is a bone-in dry aged Sashi AAA ribeye from Finland, about 3,1 lbs

ibb online

Not having any kettle and without any other way to to a proper indirect cook, I decided to use the oven at the lowest possible temperature to bring slowly the temperature up to a target of about 115/120 degrees. I would have loved to smoke her a little bit but no chance.
Being the oven about 30 years old controlling the temperature to such a low value was a bit of a challenge, but overall easier than I thought. It took about 4 hours and a half.
In the meantime fired up my chimney, and got ready some awful quality chaircoal for the final sear. 3 minutes in total over at some facemelting temperature and the result was this

A few minutes of rest and she was ready.
Final temperature around 123/124 degrees.
And to be completely honest, after all that cooking I was so hungry that I lost the lucidity and went full caveman with the cutting, so forgive the poor presentation.
Overall more than happy with the result, juiciness and texture better than any steak I ever cooked before, but next time I will try go bring up the temperature up a little more, to make it more medium rare.
Also the final sear could have been better, I was hoping in some flares up but that didn't happen.

Half of the things I tried on this cook I learned from this forum after a few days of reading, so thank you guys!

Last edited:
Each section of the forum has a description that you can use to figure out where it post. Introductions go in the Cattle Call section, but this post is a great way to introduce yourself and show us some food at the same time :thumb:

The steak looks great!

Welcome aboard and great first post/cook! Looks good from here and I’ve been known to go caveman and say hell with presentation. Happens to the best of us!:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Each section of the forum has a description that you can use to figure out where it post. Introductions go in the Cattle Call section, but this post is a great way to introduce yourself and show us some food at the same time :thumb:

The steak looks great!

That's where I looked first, but I saw no threads and thought I was in the wrong place :sorry:

Thanks everyone for the welcome! :-D

Great first post, looks like you nailed that steak. You can be very proud of your first Ribeye cook.
Thanks for posting and enjoy your time here. They are great bunch of people with a love of que.

Ya know you can still reverse sear in that oven with an offset fire then go indirect / direct, just sayin as an option

You won me with that steak ,looks close to perfect for me.
Welcome to the Forum, be safe

Ya know you can still reverse sear in that oven with an offset fire then go indirect / direct, just sayin as an option

How would you do it? Isn't the opening of the oven and the chimney too big to creative some uniform heat?

Thanks again everyone for the welcome!

This baby is next, as soon as the weather gets better...

Yeah I was thinking it has to be grass fed beef (as well as dry aged)...

Looks great and welcome!

That's correct, dry aged and grass fed. I tried that beef a couple of years ago in a restaurant and I HAD TO have it again. These guys have amazing products (not sure I can post link to the producer, they don't sell directly online anyway).
Not cheap but the quality is amazing.

Back