Reverse seared Picanha steaks on the Primo kamado

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
I'd originally planned to do these on the rotisserie for the Brazilian churrasco experience but plans changed, so I cut the sirloin cap roast/coulotte/picanha into steaks and dry brined in the fridge for a few hours using whole sea salt.

Also planned to do some sort of potato dish but ran out of time, so french fries in the deep fryer a la "steak frites", and some asparagus. I reverse seared the steaks with some oak smoke, then seared on each side (especially the fat cap) to get it nice and crispy. I guess this one was a mix of YOLO/MSU.

Looks fantastic! Where did you find those locally? I need to grab a few to try out.

Pollard’s on Raytown Road in Raytown. The place I used to get them hasn’t had them lately (Anton’s in downtown KC). Price was $7.99/lb and the meat seemed to be of good quality. They have lots of BBQ sauces, rubs, and wood there too. Seems like a good place, I plan to get meat there more often.

Pollard’s on Raytown Road in Raytown. The place I used to get them hasn’t had them lately (Anton’s in downtown KC). Price was $7.99/lb and the meat seemed to be of good quality. They have lots of BBQ sauces, rubs, and wood there too. Seems like a good place, I plan to get meat there more often.

I'll have to go check it out, thanks! I guess I always assumed that cut would be real expensive, since it seems so rare and sought after on here.

I forgot about Antons. Used to go there for the brews and a meal, but the quality was all over the place. Amazing one week, and mediocre the next.

My guess is the restaurant side of the house is slow and therefore the butcher side of the house is slower right now, they aren’t moving as much meat, and that has impacted availability of retail counter. I want to say I paid less at Anton’s and it was dry aged, but Pollards is a lot closer to me so there’s that :thumb:

Back