Reverse flow offset build (lowes smoker ripoff)

Looks great!!!

On my doors I didn't have any latches available ( budget build mod) so I drilled a 1/2" hole through the lip on the doors & through the cooking chamber. Welded a nut on the inside of the chamber and simply put a nut through to hold the doors closed during transport. This also stops anyone without a wrench handy from opening the cooker. This works better than a latch for me because sometimes I cook at pubs and go inside ta tip a few back for a couple hours while she's smokin.

So ran a few tests and decided to go on and cook something with it... (people were getting hungry!!) went for a pork loin, simple, quick and to me, it turned out great!! Nice sweet thick smoke ring, perfectly tender and even, good outside as well... but again, it used a LOT of fuel it seems. Nearly a whole log worth of chunks and an entire 6lb bag of el cheapo kroger lump charcoal for about a 4 hr total burn from warm up to meat off!! Does that sound like too much?? temps were easy to maintain at about 225 but it seemed impossible to get it above 250 even if i wanted to. This could be attributed to my amazement at how much fuel it was taking and giving it baby doses along the way.. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• 2010-11-18_11-46-07_286.jpg
    2010-11-18_11-46-07_286.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 219
I think it really depends on the size of your fire, and how you had the intake and exhaust set at the time you tried to get past 250*. If everything was wide open, I think your initial concern that you didn't have enough flow from the firebox to the smoke chamber was correct.

If you had a good smoke flavor on the meat, that tells me that the fire burned pretty clean.

I'm guessing since I couldn't see it, smell it, or taste it:)

Ya, it was wide open. Still wondering about the size of the fire. Ive never cooked on a large smoker before so im still feeling it out. Maybe next time i will take a photo of the fire itself... A question i have is would it hurt anything to make the opening from firebox to smoke chamber bigger?

Ya, it was wide open. Still wondering about the size of the fire. Ive never cooked on a large smoker before so im still feeling it out. Maybe next time i will take a photo of the fire itself... A question i have is would it hurt anything to make the opening from firebox to smoke chamber bigger?

If air, heat, and smoke are moving faster you may end up needing to increase the size of the intake.

Lets see the size of the fire, and the resulting temp change when you try to get over 250* again. Outside temp wouldn't be bad info either.

I'm sure others will have additional advice as well.

I think the issues are partly to do with the firebox position Ie not being intertwined with the smoke chamber thus not taking full advantage of the heat causing you to burn more fuel to stay in the 225 range. I bet the top of the fire box was plenty hot.

Yup, it sure does get hot! Never sure how hot is too hot, but ill bet the cooler the better / more efficient heat transfer to cook chamber. I had no idea you could have a good healthy draft and still be this inefficient heat wise! I think that im going to end up having to cut as large a hole as possible and expanding the opening soon. Still have fingers crossed that the cold temps that night (bout 45*F) and maybe my fire size are mostly the culprit, but i guess its not the end of the world if i have to do a couple more cuts and welds! Say, Dr.... If
I think the issues are partly to do with the firebox position ..
Then do you have other issues in mind that I should consider if i start working on this thing again? Thanks guys, building another fire in it tonight, will take more pics!

Mister Bob, that trailer looks amazing. I have to ask though what paint have you used for it. In Australia we ony seam to have high temp paints that come in matte and I really want to go for a gloss like this. Have you got any paint tips?

Back