THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

i have to also agree that the property is not worth selling for a trailer. (assuming it is owned clear) If it is in a location that is prime enough that you think can house a profitable restaurant, then it must be lease-able. at the same time then the property must also have some value. its not IF land values bounce back, its when. even if they dont hit what they were at for 50 years, they still will rise way up from where they are now. remember, if you dont have to sell, why sell at a low? hold onto the property. lease it out. let someone else try to open a business in that spot and in doing so they will pay for your trailer.

Thanks for all the input .I was not trying to start some name calling post. I should have asked the question better restaurant vs trailer which one is better?
I know that this question is like Ford vs Chevy but I just though I could get input from people that have done this.
Again thanks

Thanks for all the input .I was not trying to start some name calling post. I should have asked the question better restaurant vs trailer which one is better?
I know that this question is like Ford vs Chevy but I just though I could get input from people that have done this.
Again thanks

No problem, bro. Some people lose reading comprehension skills when they get on these forums and start to twist people's words and take them out of contextand then start the personal attacks. Then, some others seem to be like misguided sharks who think they smell blood in the water and start adding sophmoric replies. If you spend any time online, you know that.

Either way, you are in a great position with that property and it gives you some options that you would not otherwise have. Good luck.

Again thanks

You did nothing wrong, brother. No worries. It's a GREAT thread you've started.

No problem, bro. Some people lose reading comprehension skills when they get on these forums and start to twist people's words and take them out of contextand then start the personal attacks. Then, some others seem to be like misguided sharks who think they smell blood in the water and start adding sophmoric replies.
Then there are those who start the name calling and deflect blame onto others. Just sayin'. :thumb:

Well, since we mods can still see that the opening shot was yours (sorry that you can't), I thought the warning was appropriate. Let's take this to PM Land, shall we?

Where's the appropriate place to discuss trailer vs. restuarant, cause I would like to know. We are talking food truck type trailers right?

To me there is perhaps a bit more info needed. How many other places to eat are there in your small town? Are all the people driving the 7 miles to the next town to eat? I also see a difference in a sit down place and a trailer, to me there are different types of people that will be served. A sit down place with a take-out window may be a best-of-both worlds. What type of industry is nearby (will you get a local factory lunch crowd)? I think a market survey would be a good first step before deciding.

I do think that I would try to keep the building somehow. As said, the market is down right now. It won't bring top dollar in todays economy. I am also a stay out of debt type guy. I would not borrow to open a business. If I did the trailer, I would rent the building. Just my thoughts.

Start with a trailer then build up a client base with great bbq. If they like it they will come. You might find out after a while you my not want the hasle of the day to day of the restarant. Good luck and let us know how it comes out.

Just go ahead and open the restaurant AND get the trailer to use for special events and catering! There! Problem solved! Everybody shake hands! Lets get back to talking about what makes this site so great! BBQ!

Good freakin' grief! Thanks dear "brother" for commenting on something you have no idea what you are writing about. But, what ever.

Lighten up Francis

Hulka.jpg

Lighten up Francis

Hulka.jpg

:laugh: Ok, sarge!

But this is the post they seem to ignore.

Take it any way you want. But, I'm glad to see that you finally came around to my way of thinking about it. I gave my opinon and you guys that initially disagreed with me started posting laughing emoticons. I defended my position. Real estate is a better investment over the long haul than trailors. That's just the way it is.

Now, I have often dreamed about owning a BBQ trailor. I envy you guys that do it successfully and wish that I could. But, if I owned property I wouldn't trade it for a cooking trailor. I'd find a way to leverage my property to make my dream come true. Without the asset of property, I'd go about getting a trailor another way.

At this point, I'm trying to figure out a way to just transport my meager little cooker to the local farmer's market to use BBQ pork to sell my sauce. A trailor isn't even in my thinking at this point. Maybe it should be.

I bought a trailer a little over 5 years ago. Financed basically a 100% of it. payments were roughly $470/month. We are in a town of about 2200 people. There is a long time BBQ restaurant (over 25 yrs.) in town. We opened on weekends when we could around my work schedule. Usually 1-2 weekends. One opening would make enough to make payment for the month. What grew out of it all was catering and that is what has been the most profitable. The vending got our name out there and the food sold itself. The trailer has been great to take to BBQ contests as well. The storefronts in our town that are empty are staying that way. A hardware store that closed 3-4 years ago is still empty. A very nice restaurant has changed hands several times and has been empty for a year. I have heard the asking price is over $300,000. You have to sell a lot of product to make that work. It won't work in our town. That's my story, I hope in some way it helps.

Back