Repainting my 1yr old UDS

Petee_c

Knows what a fatty is.
I built my UDS last fall.... I painted it with some cheapo 'bbq grill' paint that I found at the local surplus hardware store. A flat black. Looked great, but a year on our deck uncovered (we get a fair bit of snow in the winter) has made it look crappy...

Maybe I didn't prep the metal well enough? Maybe I put the paint on too thin? It was a 12oz can of bbq paint that I put on....

Should I hit it again with aerosol spray paint? I still have 1 can left of this surplus paint stuff, or switch to a name brand like Rustoleum?

Wire cup or 80 grit flap disk to knockdown the rust....

I don't know if the temps in my UDS warrant going for a 'bbq' paint per se.

Attachments

• uds-new.jpg
    uds-new.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 193
  • uds-rusty.jpg
    uds-rusty.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 192
Poor metal prep! Sand off all the rust wash in a 50% vinegar water solution followed by a wipe down with paint thinner then a metal primer then top coat it. Contractor trash can liners and a magnet make a cheap cover when not in use.

fwismoker....

"two coats minimum" would I need more than 1 can to get this coverage? My coats are really thin to prevent running.... If I used a 12oz can, would I need more than one you think for a UDS barrel (Just the sides as you can tell from the pics)

Thanks,
Peter

Clean good and wipe down with paint thinner. Two coats of Rust-o-leum high heat ULTRA.I painted my mini wsm build three years ago and it still looks new...just make sure it's ultra.[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001UE7MW4?keywords=rustoleum%20high%20heat%20ultra&qid=1444247871&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Rust-Oleum 241169 High Heat Ultra Enamel Spray, Black, 12-Ounce: Home Improvement@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41onYFYJcAL.@@AMEPARAM@@41onYFYJcAL[/ame]

fwismoker....

"two coats minimum" would I need more than 1 can to get this coverage? My coats are really thin to prevent running.... If I used a 12oz can, would I need more than one you think for a UDS barrel (Just the sides as you can tell from the pics)

Thanks,
Peter

You'll need at least 2 cans for 2 coats. Short even passes and let what you spray set up before spraying more.

Thanks all for the advice.

I got home from work and hit the barrel with the wirecup on my grinder. Got the rusty marks off.

I wiped it down with vinegar twice then dried it with a paper towel.

I had a spare can of the grill paint leftover from my build, so I used that. I used 80%+ of the can on the barrel.

Looks good for now. If it rusts again, I'll redo it with 2 cans of a name brand paint.

Attachments

• 2015-10-07 18.10.09.jpg
    2015-10-07 18.10.09.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 141
Going back to grade school math.... the surface area of the walls (not top and bottom) of the barrel would be 2(pie)r x height....

figuring a 23" diameter, and 34" height, looks like I need to cover about 17sqft of barrel for one coat of paint.

Definitely going to get a 2nd or maybe 3rd can of this paint if the surplus place still has it...

show me a high heat primer in aerosol.....

Rustoleum has high heat spray primer but it isn't necessary. Primer is a good thing and will let you use less paint but the high heat paint by itself in enough coats do the job. Definitely nothing wrong with the primer though...It's a gray color and is durable.

show me a high heat primer in aerosol.....

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Rustoleum-Automotive-249340-Primer-Spray/dp/B00CBJWG00"]Rustoleum Automotive 249340 12 Oz Gray High Heat Primer Spray Paint - Arts And Crafts Spray Paint - Amazon.com@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41N%2B8K5ZmQL.@@AMEPARAM@@41N%2B8K5ZmQL[/ame]

bludawg does have a bit of a point. An ounce of prevention being worth a pound of cure and all of that.

:confused:I don't get the whole HI Temp paint thing. Regular old spray bomb Acrylic Enamel Krylon held up just fine. I used it on my UDS, outside of a few scratches and grease stains it looked as good as it did when I built it when it went to a new owner 9 yrs later and I cook over 300 deg.

:confused:I don't get the whole HI Temp paint thing. Regular old spray bomb Acrylic Enamel Krylon held up just fine. I used it on my UDS, outside of a few scratches and grease stains it looked as good as it did when I built it when it went to a new owner 9 yrs later and I cook over 300 deg.

For most UDS temps you're probably right. I'm probably in the minority but I run splits and the bottom half especially get's stupid hot and the paint has burned off. I went out got a super high heat paint and the paint holds up great.

The non hi-temp stuff gets a little soft at a lower temperature. Left untouched, sure, it'll return to it's normal state after it cools down and you'll be non-the-wiser. Get a little heat in it and accidentally have something brush up against it and it won't look so great anymore. 3/4's of the drum probably never sees high enough heat for it to matter, but that bottom quarter does routinely.

Hi-temp stuff costs, what, $1 more? $2? Even if it takes two cans, it's worth it.

Back