THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BriGreentea

Knows what a fatty is.
I made my brisket last weekend...got the injection I like...hickory chunks...mustard slather...resting in butcher paper.

Used "The salt lick" and I did go a tad liberal on it but the particular pepper in it really was overbearing and masked the smoke flavor and injection too much. Not a huge salt and pepper guy except a steak maybe but do love salt.

I have used Adkins western seasoning rub and has the sugar in it and subtle seasoning.I like for a sweeter profile. I really love Famous Dave's rib rub...don't know if it would be good for brisket though. Tried Stubbs and the cost is too much for the tiny amount you are getting and thought it was average at best.Any other recommendations for a sweet rub that's versatile for a variety of bbq? Either store bought or online thanks.

I think going from Salt Lick rub to a typical "sweet" rub may be to extreme for brisket. Having said that I think Lucky Dawg (found at walmart) beef rub and Oakridge Competition Beef and Pork rub are probably some of the best semi-sweet rubs I've used on brisket. You can always use simple kosher salt and course pepper and as it's resting put a thin layer of sauce like head country on the exterior (bark). That will provide just enough sweet to a good brisket.

Sweet Rub

A very good sweet rub is from Obie- Cue's...Obecue Texas Spice Company. They sell this product here in the Bay Area at BBQ Galore. I have tried the sweet rub many times however Never on Brisket, The company does sell a Brisket Rub, you can look them up on the web. I'm just not techy enough to figure out how to past the thread to Obie- Cue's website

For brisket, I like Oakridge Black OPS, don't care for the cinnamon in their Dominator rub. Or a combo of PorkMafia Texas Gold & Memphis Mud.

Try this.
1/4 c. Kosher salt, 1/4 c. Black pepper, 1/4 c. Cumin, 1 tbsp granulated garlic, 1 tbsp granulated onion, 1 tsp cayenne, 1 tsp dry mustard, 1/2 c. dark brown sugar.

Use this one all the time. Leaves a great bark.

Best of luck on finding the "perfect" rub.

+1 for Black Ops.....I also like Smoke On Badger Mountain's rub too, but I personally would back off the cumin unless you really like it, and up the garlic and onion to 2Tbs. Make sure to use regular already ground black pepper as that will back down the overbearing black pepper flavor.

I'm not a sweet rub on beef guy, but for sweet rubs I like the Simply Marvelous stuff - Sweet Seduction, Sweet & Spicy, Cherry - I like 'em all really - for beef, the Genie's Hooch has some sweet IIRC. IMO you can't go wrong with the Simply Marvelous stuff. There are quite a few rubs that I like, but out of all of them SM rubs are really the only ones I make sure I always have on hand.

Back