Recipe Testers - ABT Mac and Cheese

emtnate

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Nate
I am not sure if anyone makes anything like this. I never grew out of liking mac and cheese and I probably eat more of it than I should. That said, while I still enjoy it from the blue box, my tastes have changed as I get older.

I was sitting at work today with my mind wandering while trying to review for a professional exam I will be taking soon. I already make green chili mac and cheese, why not tweak it to add the flavors of ABTs? So here is what I came up with. It will be Monday before I can try it myself. In the meantime, if you try it let me know what you think. I also welcome any other ideas to make the recipe great.

Ingredients:
2 Poblano Peppers
Jalapeno Peppers to taste
8 oz Thick Cut Bacon
Favorite BBQ rub for pork
1 lb Elbow Macaroni
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon dry mustard
Black Pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
3-4 cups milk
8-10 oz shredded white cheddar cheese, or a blend of white cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses.
8 oz cream cheese
Panko
Smoked Paprika
Shredded white cheese

Prepare medium coals. Grill the peppers whole until the skin is blistered. Once done, place them in a paper bag to steam.

Sprinkle your favorite rub for pork over the bacon and grill until done. Chop the cooked bacon and set aside.

Boil the pasta until al dente. Reserve the pasta water in a separate bowl. Remove the skin from the peppers and coarsely chop, discarding the seeds if they are too hot.

Make a roux with the butter and flour, adding the mustard, cayenne and black pepper. Add in the milk and simmer. Stir in the cream cheese and shredded cheeses until melted and smooth. Use the reserved pasta water to thin the sauce if needed. Fold in the cooked pasta, peppers and bacon.

Place the pasta in a disposable pan, top with panko, smoked paprika and more shredded cheese. Bake the casserole on the grill until the sauce is bubbly and the top lightly browned. A little smoke would not hurt either. I will try Cherry.

Thanks for viewing, I look forward to some feedback this weekend before I can try out my idea.

So much for that test you were studying for. But the Mac and Cheese sounds great...

Thanks everyone, if any of you try it, please let me know. I am curious how it turns out with cauliflower as well.

The test I am preparing for is mostly review at this point. A few of us on our crew are preparing together and have been hitting the books hard in our downtime.

After a long weekend of work, it is finally Monday and my night off. As promised, I present some pictures of the casserole in progress.

I started with the bacon and peppers on the grill. Before going on the grill, the bacon was sprinkled with a general BBQ rub.Keep an eye out for flare ups from the bacon fat rendering and any sugar in your rub from burning. I wanted a tasty carmelization, not bitter black strips.

20150803_183859.jpg

Place the peppers in a paper bag for 10 minutes or so and the skins will peel off nicely. Then chop the bacon and peppers and set aside.

20150803_184059.jpg

20150803_185813.jpg

I didn't take pictures of every step. I trust everyone here knows how to boil pasta. Make a roux with the butter and flour, add the other spices and milk to turn it into a bechamel sauce. Let it simmer to thicken a little and then slowly add the cheeses. Stir until the cheese are melted and smooth. Fold in the pasta, peppers and bacon. Place this mixture into a grill pan and top with panko, cheese and smoked paprika.

20150803_192315.jpg

Cover the pan with foil and place on the grill. I have some drumettes with salt and pepper on with a chunk of cherry added to the coals. Should be good when it is done.

20150803_192941.jpg

Here is the finished product:
20150803_203916.jpg

Drumettes were tossed in sauce and plated with the pasta. It looks a little homely, but tasted delicious.

I do have a few thoughts for the next version of this recipe:

I recommend doubling the bacon to a pound or even a little more.

The sauce curdled some. Many recipes recommend using evaporated milk to prevent this. My wife is lactose intolerant, and evaporated milk has much more lactose in it than regular milk.

I might tweak the sauce to add a little beer, I think it would compliment the theme of a jalepeno popper as bar food.

Last edited:
Back