Really?! Beef Tallow??!!

Certainly don’t need to use tallow but a lot of the bbq places in Texas do. Including Goldee’s which is currently Texas Monthly #1

Certainly don’t need to use tallow but a lot of the bbq places in Texas do. Including Goldee’s which is currently Texas Monthly #1

Which is weird since Jirby himself doesn't seem to be a fan of it. He said it washes out the flavor.

Which is weird since Jirby himself doesn't seem to be a fan of it. He said it washes out the flavor.

I’m not sure when they started using it but I was on a live last week and he’s a big fan. He’s used it in other videos too. He said Matt from meat church was really offended when he came and they used tallow lol

I mean, after a couple brisket cooks, you'll have more then enough tallow of your own for free. Buying definitely doesn't make much sense I agree there, but I can see why it can help during the cook. Help keep the meat moist and from drying out while the rest of the fat in the brisket continues to render out.

I just started doing it and why throw it away when it can be used for re-seasoning a smoker or for basting a brisket which I have not tried . I always save bacon grease and use it all the time like my Grandparents did and they also had a 5 gallon bucket of pig lard sitting around for cooking from getting slaughtered and had many purposes .

I’m not sure when they started using it but I was on a live last week and he’s a big fan. He’s used it in other videos too. He said Matt from meat church was really offended when he came and they used tallow lol

I think it's b/c Goldee's sells so it's another revenue stream for the restaurant. Nothing wrong with that. But in many of Jirby's earlier videos he made fun of the Beef Tallow trend and said it diminished the flavor of the bark.

I had Goldies brisket back in December, trust me, whatever they did didn't hurt bark formation or flavor.
My son who has been to Franklins claimed Franklins might have been a tiny bit better, but essentially a tie.

I don't think they're using tallow in the restaurant b/c, again, Jirby has said numerous times it diminishes the flavor of the brisket. Also it's significantly more work (and mess) when you're loading up multiple 1000 gallon offsets with brisket. In his behind-the-scenes videos at Goldee's he's just spritzing the paper. He didn't start "liking" tallow until he started making videos with the Meatchurch infomercial guy where there's $$$ behind every recommendation. Jirby's smart... he knows how to make a buck.

Back