THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pyrotech

Full Fledged Farker
After trimming the brisket I was left with a plate of Beef fat. I really didn't feel like just throwing it out. So Instead I Decided to render it down into Tallow.

tallow1.jpg

Big chunks of Fat from the brisket.

tallow2.jpg

The fat starting to melt, and the pieces have been cut into smaller chunks.

tallow3.jpg

You can see the water in the fat starting to boil off nicely. this was about an hour into it

tallow4.jpg

Most of the water gone, and lots of cracklins visible now.

tallow5.jpg

A plate of Cracklins, was scoped out of the rendered tallow. I poured the melted tallow into a pan of water to wash and its in the fridge to chill and let the fat harden on the top of the water.

After it hardens I will Re melt to get rid of the water and pour into a sterile canning jar.

Nicely done. I'm a big fan of rendering down trimmings, my favorite is rendering down chicken skin for schmaltz.

Beef tallow was the reason McDonald's fries tasted so good 30 years ago. They quit using it under pressure from either the health conscious crowd or pressure from people that embrace India's religion, you know the whole lame claim that cows are reincarnated relatives and such. Nothing wrong with partaking occasionally. My grandma's fried chicken ruled because she fried it in lard.

Beef tallow was the reason McDonald's fries tasted so good 30 years ago. They quit using it under pressure from either the health conscious crowd or pressure from people that embrace India's religion, you know the whole lame claim that cows are reincarnated relatives and such. Nothing wrong with partaking occasionally. My grandma's fried chicken ruled because she fried it in lard.

And you hit the nail on the head for the reasons why I made the tallow. French fries...

I render all the fat I trim off of brisket or butts.

And I am pretty sure they stopped using tallow because everyone said it was not healthy. Now, we are finding out, tallow is healthier than high temperature veggie oil.

Question: After frying (french fries or whatever else) with tallow, do you filter and reuse? How do you store it?

Question: After frying (french fries or whatever else) with tallow, do you filter and reuse? How do you store it?

Never used tallow for frying but have used lard. In the past the lard would be reused several time.

Grandma alway kept the fresh lard in the freezer and used in the fridge

The meat locker i worked in kept lard in the cooler

Back