THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Twisted Martini

Knows what a fatty is.
I had my brothers coming in town for the Indianapolis 500 and they had heard about my "legendary" BBQ skills, so I decided to do a brisket. I decided to leave work early and drive downtown to RD, but got lazy and distracted and went to Costco instead. However, once inside I was disappointed in the quality and size of the briskets, so I ran out of the store and hauled arse for RD, hoping i would make it before they closed. Got there with 5 min to spare and picked out a 9 LBer.

IMG00697-20110526-0716-1.jpg

Rubbed it up with a little Dizzy Pig, fired up the Egg and threw some hickory on around 7 AM. I was a littel nervous, as my probe had broke and I was having to rely on my instant read. When it hit 165, I foiled it and added some beef broth and worchestershire sauce and put it back in. Around 3, I poked it with the instan read and it went in like butta. So I pulled it and stuck in the oven on warm to let it rest. I went ahead and fired up some beans (h/t to patiodaddyo) and hoped for the best.

IMG00699-20110526-2115.jpg

Flights were delayed, so I didn't get to cut into it until around 9. And I have to say, it was the best brisket I have ever made.

IMG00698-20110526-2114.jpg

The point was juicy and full of flavor and the flat was as tender as I have seen. My brother said it was the best brisket he'd ever had. High praise from a guy who gets his prime meat from a top end NY purveyor. Needless to say, I will be shopping at RD for brisket from now on.

Last edited:
It looks great, nice job. Did you just leave it in the oven for the 6 hours?

I'd hit that, bro!

I'm no expert, but I picked up a 6lb brisket from RD (day pass thanks to KCBS membership) last weekend and did it hot & fast at 350°F for 3h 15min on the drum. Foiled at 165, picked it up and coolered at 195ish when the probe went in "like buttah". Stayed in the cooler for a few hours until dinner and then sliced. I thought it was amazing... and so did the wife which is all that matters :-D. Of course the price would have been better if I had bought it by the case, but it worked out fine for me since I don't cater or do comps. Price was better than HEB at least.

I'll try the oven warmer next time, since it stayed in the cooler for 4hrs (not planned) and I was getting a little nervous about the internal temp.

even though i'm trying to move away from mass produced meat, i've gotten National brand briskets from RD and a couple other local stores and i like them very much.
can't say about costco though, never bought one there.

looks like you had a nice cook!

Never bought a brisket from RD but I've bought a few from Costco. The ones down here only carry full packers and they seem good to me. Some are better than others but I don't think I've had one I'd call bad.

Back