Rattlesnake experts?

Unfortunately, 911 isn't an option out here. If you get bit, make your way to the closest ranch, pickup driving down the road, cowboy, well pumper etc... They can get you to a hospital.
I've seen too many people and animals get snake bit. It's not fun watching them suffer. (or die)

Sorry for the hijack Dan. Hope the recipes give your friend some ideas. Good luck with it! :thumb:

Unfortunately, 911 isn't an option out here. If you get bit, make your way to the closest ranch, pickup driving down the road, cowboy, well pumper etc... They can get you to a hospital.
I've seen too many people and animals get snake bit. It's not fun watching them suffer. (or die)

Sorry for the hijack Dan. Hope the recipes give your friend some ideas. Good luck with it! :thumb:

That wasn't a hijack, but just for future reference, you can hijack my thread ANYTIME, because whatever you have to say outshines whatever I might have posted in the first place. ;)

OK, I'll high jack then...with your normal precision and knife skills how is it the cut from fang to rattle is so unsightly? Is it difficult to cut a straight run down the little fellas belly or were you just not into it just then.
If I knew I was going to make something from the skin I would have tried to make it a clean straight cut.
Just wondering.
Ed

OK, I'll high jack then...with your normal precision and knife skills how is it the cut from fang to rattle is so unsightly? Is it difficult to cut a straight run down the little fellas belly or were you just not into it just then.
If I knew I was going to make something from the skin I would have tried to make it a clean straight cut.
Just wondering.
Ed

I'm sure that Cowgirl can answer for herself, but from my experience, when you stretch and "peg" a hide for scraping and drying, the tension from the nails, tacks or laces cause the edges of the hide to scallop a bit. Straight cuts end up looking uneven.

Textbook perfect skinning-pinning & tanning. Look how straight the scales are.

I’ve done quite a few over the years and they never looked that straight. My hat bands always looked crooked. I never left the rattle on. That’s skill.

Excellent work cowgirl

As for eating. Chopped into 2-3 inch segments battered and fried. They’re kind of like eating the last bits of the non drum part of a small chicken wing. Ones I’ve had tasted like it too.

Last edited:
That wasn't a hijack, but just for future reference, you can hijack my thread ANYTIME, because whatever you have to say outshines whatever I might have posted in the first place. ;)
Dan, you're a good friend. Thank you Sir!

Just wondering.
Ed
I had to think about that one Ed. lol Made me smile..
Dave and Adams are correct. When "pegging" or "pinning" out the skin, the edges curl a bit. It's cut straight, the sides aren't rolled out flat.

saANdq0.jpg

nubFcUi.jpg

I'm sure that Cowgirl can answer for herself, but from my experience, when you stretch and "peg" a hide for scraping and drying, the tension from the nails, tacks or laces cause the edges of the hide to scallop a bit. Straight cuts end up looking uneven.

That's exactly what it is. Thanks Dave! Great that you put hides to use too. :cool::grin:

Textbook perfect skinning-pinning & tanning. Look how straight the scales are.

I’ve done quite a few over the years and they never looked that straight. My hat bands always looked crooked. I never left the rattle on. That’s skill.

Excellent work cowgirl

As for eating. Chopped into 2-3 inch segments battered and fried. They’re kind of like eating the last bits of the non drum part of a small chicken wing. Ones I’ve had tasted like it too.

Thanks Adams! Sounds like you've tanned a few too. I agree, the meat tastes a bit like chicken. :grin:

Mom would either cook or show us how to cook anything we brought home, except dove. She said those are The Lord’s birds. And there was the live coral snake my little brother brought home that didn’t make it to the kitchen.

Mom would either cook or show us how to cook anything we brought home, except dove. She said those are The Lord’s birds. And there was the live coral snake my little brother brought home that didn’t make it to the kitchen.

Your mom has a kind heart. :thumb:

Rant Engauge...

I am the opposite,there is a big list of things I wont eat because well Im a wussy. Rattle snakes are different for me, I just enjoy the hell out of watching them. Seeing a large Western Diamondback slithering along a trail is just really cool. I have stepped on them barefoot, I have pulled one out of my dogs mouth without even thinking about it. Many times I should have been bitten, (knocking on wood. )
Not shaming in anyway, but seeing the skinned bugger just strikes an odd cord with me. I dont deny someones life just because I dont like something in it, plenty of people feel that way about my life and glass houses and all. And in the grand scheme you said belt which is utilizing the animal and that is always the best use.
OK done

Venomous snakes are a threat to the lives of those we care about (cattle, dogs, cats, people, etc.) so, I really don't want them anywhere near when I live. However, I have learned to appreciate snakes for the valuable role they play on this Earth, just like cats. Rodents (mice and rats) are a bigger threat than most people realize and snakes play a significant role in keeping their numbers down. The "rat" snakes I run into are more scared of me than I am of them so, it's actually hard to see them because they slither off before I generally get close enough to see them.

If you don't' know what you are doing and lack appropriate supervision, leave them alone and neither of you will get hurt.

Back