Question for Shirley Owners - Rotated Warmer?

BossRossBBQ

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Ross
I am one year deep into my wait for a new Shirley (I feel like Tom Hanks in Castaway) and there is one decision I am still torn between. Specifically, I am planning an elevated straight back 50” or 55” with elevated warmer. The question is do I rotate or not rotate the warmer? I’ve seen some discussions from a few years ago, but nothing more recent where it seems to have grown in popularity. I think I like the look of it facing the rear, but perhaps rotated with the full length shelf is more practical. I would appreciate the perspective of current Shirley owners. One last question, with it rotated, does the front of the smoker end up with more “wear” due to the vent being on the door of the warmer? THANKS!

I have a 42" elevated straight back about to be finished and delivered. I went back and forth on this in my mind - and ended up not getting the rotated warmer. I liked the idea of the folding shelf - seemed handy - and when the warmer is rotated you have to duck beneath the shelf to manage your fire. That, with the additional minus of the baffle control handles on the blind side of the cooker was enough to push me away from doing this. Seems, from my perspective, the inconveniences outweighted the minor convenience of a rotated warmer.

I considered the rotated warmer because it looks nice but it puts the damper levers on the back of the cooker and I preferred having them in front because they are easy to get too especially if a wall or other obstacle is behind the cooker. Really just an aesthetic thing but I'm very happy with the rear facing warmer.

I have a 42" elevated straight back about to be finished and delivered. I went back and forth on this in my mind - and ended up not getting the rotated warmer. I liked the idea of the folding shelf - seemed handy - and when the warmer is rotated you have to duck beneath the shelf to manage your fire. That, with the additional minus of the baffle control handles on the blind side of the cooker was enough to push me away from doing this. Seems, from my perspective, the inconveniences outweighted the minor convenience of a rotated warmer.

Congratulations! When did you place your deposit?

I considered the rotated warmer because it looks nice but it puts the damper levers on the back of the cooker and I preferred having them in front because they are easy to get too especially if a wall or other obstacle is behind the cooker. Really just an aesthetic thing but I'm very happy with the rear facing warmer.

Once you get a cook going, how often do you adjust the levers?

Last edited:
"I feel like Tom Hanks in Castaway"

Please send a video link of your diy tooth extraction.

I know, not helpful; I hear that a lot.

I took delivery of my custom 24x42 smoker in August. I configured it with rotated warmer, ss backsplash, and ss shelf amongst other options. I love the functionality of it. It is really nice to work in the main chamber and warmer at the same time. I can slide pans across the shelf. I've done a lot of cooks using both chambers and am really happy.

Attachments

• in smoke.jpg
    in smoke.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 71
  • bccok.jpg
    bccok.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 71
  • Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 71
  • open.jpg
    open.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 71
Once you get a cook going, how often do you adjust the levers?
So far the only times I've actually cooked in the warmer I had the baffle block in place and it doesn't take much opening on the warmer vent to get hot really quick. The fire is directly below and the heat is coming straight up. 1/4"open on the warmer floor vent will make a Dutch oven boil (pot of chili or beans in the warmer with corn bread up top). As far as the main chamber I keep the firebox vent wide open and use the chimney vent to control temps.

Back