THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
I'm looking at a DIY cure for corned beef - actually in this case, corned pork butt for pastrami. Referring to the trusty "Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages" book, it says I need 4.2 oz of cure#1 for 1 gallon of water, and the amount of cure #1 scales linearly based on the volume of water you need...unsurprisingly. I'm planning to corn a pork butt to make a "pastrami pork butt" a la JasonTQ and I determined I need 1.5 gallons of water to sufficiently cover the 8lb butt in the non reactive vessel I'm using....so ~6.3oz of cure #1...sound right?

The calculators I've used based on the thickness of ~4.5" say it may take 19 days in the cure, which I guess is based on ~1/4" per day of penetration. So my question(s) are if I choose to inject some of the brine to speed up the cure, do I need to adjust the amount of cure/salt or is it pretty much still going to achieve equilibrium and I just need to make sure the cure:water ratio is correct? I'm used to using cure #1 in small amounts for dry cures and I understand that only so much of the brine on a % basis will be pulled into the meat but going from a couple teaspoons to 6.3oz (176 grams) of cure #1 is a lot to me.

Yeah...I saw that recipe too - which is why I was confused to see 4.2 oz cure #1 per gallon...120 something grams per gallon? Yikes. Probably reader error?

I just measured a leveled off teaspoon of prague powder #1 and it was like 8.xx grams

Yeah...I saw that recipe too - which is why I was confused to see 4.2 oz cure #1 per gallon...120 something grams per gallon? Yikes. Probably reader error?

I just measured a leveled off teaspoon of prague powder #1 and it was like 8.xx grams

So I will say I have the same book and it is awesome. The part that does get confusing is when injecting and scaling out recipes when using cure #1. It didn't make sense to me either. Not saying anyone shouldn't follow proper procedure here.

I use the same recipe for standard corned beef too or really when I corn anything. Does good for ribs.

You can use this Corned Beef recipe:

Water - 3 Gallons

Salt - 2 pounds

Sweetener - 10 oz. (Dextrose, Regular Sugar, Brown Sugar, etc.)

Tinted Cure Mix - 7 oz. (AKA Prague Powder #1, Instacure, TCM)

Garlic - 6 Cloves

Pickling Spice - 2 Tbs

You can either soak your Brisket for 7 to 8 days total OR inject 10% of the net weight in brine and soak for 3 to 5 days. If your Brisket weighs ten pounds, inject 16 ounces of brine. Once you have mixed your brine ingredients you can puree the garlic and pickling spices in a blender with some of the brine and add back into the soak. Easy!

You can use this Corned Beef recipe:

Water - 3 Gallons

Salt - 2 pounds

Sweetener - 10 oz. (Dextrose, Regular Sugar, Brown Sugar, etc.)

Tinted Cure Mix - 7 oz. (AKA Prague Powder #1, Instacure, TCM)

Garlic - 6 Cloves

Pickling Spice - 2 Tbs

You can either soak your Brisket for 7 to 8 days total OR inject 10% of the net weight in brine and soak for 3 to 5 days. If your Brisket weighs ten pounds, inject 16 ounces of brine. Once you have mixed your brine ingredients you can puree the garlic and pickling spices in a blender with some of the brine and add back into the soak. Easy!

The amount of cure in that recipe sounds similar to the proportions I was reading in my handy book. Interesting, thanks.

I'm looking at a DIY cure for corned beef - actually in this case, corned pork butt for pastrami. Referring to the trusty "Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages" book, it says I need 4.2 oz of cure#1 for 1 gallon of water, and the amount of cure #1 scales linearly based on the volume of water you need...unsurprisingly. I'm planning to corn a pork butt to make a "pastrami pork butt" a la JasonTQ and I determined I need 1.5 gallons of water to sufficiently cover the 8lb butt in the non reactive vessel I'm using....so ~6.3oz of cure #1...sound right?

The calculators I've used based on the thickness of ~4.5" say it may take 19 days in the cure, which I guess is based on ~1/4" per day of penetration. So my question(s) are if I choose to inject some of the brine to speed up the cure, do I need to adjust the amount of cure/salt or is it pretty much still going to achieve equilibrium and I just need to make sure the cure:water ratio is correct? I'm used to using cure #1 in small amounts for dry cures and I understand that only so much of the brine on a % basis will be pulled into the meat but going from a couple teaspoons to 6.3oz (176 grams) of cure #1 is a lot to me.

I ended up going with basically this recipe, scaling it to 1.5 gallons to cover the meat sufficiently. I used a trivet to keep the meat off the bottom and a bamboo skewer to keep it pushed down under the lid.

In a curing brine, the parts per million calculation includes the water weight so more cure is needed than when using a dry cure. And yes , this is a somewhat 'hot'curing brine, but there is a reason. Did you go with the 10% pump (injection) by weight and then add additional brine to cover? This is why this technique only takes 4 to 5 days for the meat to cure, and why the Marianskis can claim this is a proven method. However, there have been many discussions about returning the pumped meat to a container and covering it with the pumping solution rather than with a lower concentration solution. And most of these discussions revolve on the actual PPM.

Where I'm headed with this is..... when you use a brine with less cure #1, for a standard immersion brine, it takes more time than 4 or 5 days. This weaker immersion brine can also be safely injected into meats 2" and thicker in order to work from the outside in, as well as the inside out.

Spent 8 days in the brine and 2 days in water...things got busy. I cooked it on the Mak 2* today, and it turned out pretty darn tasty :thumb: good balance from the rub, not overly salty on the meat, good flavor from the pickling spices I used. Just wish I had some rye bread and Swiss on hand.

Now I’m eyeing this brisket I have in the fridge as next up in the corning deck.

When I foiled it at 165*

When I tasted it after probing tender at 202*

Spent 8 days in the brine and 2 days in water...things got busy. I cooked it on the Mak 2* today, and it turned out pretty darn tasty :thumb: good balance from the rub, not overly salty on the meat, good flavor from the pickling spices I used. Just wish I had some rye bread and Swiss on hand.

Now I’m eyeing this brisket I have in the fridge as next up in the corning deck.

When I foiled it at 165*

When I tasted it after probing tender at 202*

Ya love that color. It's just a great way to do a pork butt. I prefer it to standard.

You are right about the rye and swiss. Love thousand island on it too.

Just put a 4 bone section of beef chuck ribs into the brine, looking forward to some pastrami beef ribs :thumb:

Back