THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I only cooked a picnic last night because they were .99 a lb and I couldn't pass it up. Slightly different than a butt in muscle makeup but I didn't notice a difference in flavor or texture. I usually go for bone in butts though. Still the picnic shoulder came out excellent and I went back to store and bought another to freeze.

As for the blankets and cooler trick, that's mainly for keeping warm if it gets done early and at the same time resting. If you get it done an hour or less before serving you can just rest it on the counter loosely tented in foil, then pull it right before serving.

I only cooked a picnic last night because they were .99 a lb and I couldn't pass it up. Slightly different than a butt in muscle makeup but I didn't notice a difference in flavor or texture. I usually go for bone in butts though. Still the picnic shoulder came out excellent and I went back to store and bought another to freeze.

As for the blankets and cooler trick, that's mainly for keeping warm if it gets done early and at the same time resting. If you get it done an hour or less before serving you can just rest it on the counter loosely tented in foil, then pull it right before serving.

Gotcha! I already have the cooler waiting.

I like to use the bone in butts because I believe that you get more meat for your money with them, and the bone is the perfect indicator to let you know when it is done. I have not ever used a uds so I don't know about what your times will be, but on my off set I can usually cook them in the 8 to 10 hour range depending on the size of the PB and how tough it is. I usually cook between 225 -250 and only put it on when the pit is brought up to temps. I score the fat cap and then cook it fat side up directly on the grate.

I like to use the bone in butts because I believe that you get more meat for your money with them, and the bone is the perfect indicator to let you know when it is done. I have not ever used a uds so I don't know about what your times will be, but on my off set I can usually cook them in the 8 to 10 hour range depending on the size of the PB and how tough it is. I usually cook between 225 -250 and only put it on when the pit is brought up to temps. I score the fat cap and then cook it fat side up directly on the grate.

I was talking to my boss the other day about this. He has smoked several pork butts as well as briskets. His brother does competition BBQ so I assume he gets allot of knowledge from family members. My boss told me that for bone in pork shoulders he goes straight on the rack for 2 hours at around 200 degrees then he foils it and goes for another 3 hours or so. He claims that after 5-5 1/2 hours he can pull the bone right out of the meat. He said the foil speeds up the process and he already has a good bark from the 2 hours uncovered at first. This still seems like it is not long enough from everything I read but I know he's not pulling my leg either. He said he foils brisket as well and had one get fully done in 5-6 hours this way. I am shooting for a 6-7 hour time and I may foil if it speeds things up.

Foil does speed things up but most folks like myself just go nekkid the whole time...gives better bark and flavor.

Foil cuts down on the evaporative cooling that happens when the connective tissues are breaking down....it's basically braising when it's foiled.

Foiling also softens the bark....i'll take harder better bark. Woof woof!!!

Foil does speed things up but most folks like myself just go nekkid the whole time...gives better bark and flavor.

Foil cuts down on the evaporative cooling that happens when the connective tissues are breaking down....it's basically braising when it's foiled.

Foiling also softens the bark....i'll take harder better bark. Woof woof!!!

Does foil have a negative outcome on the tenderness or taste? Basically your saying using foils takes away the hour and fifteen minute per lb theory.

Does foil have a negative outcome on the tenderness or taste? Basically your saying using foils takes away the hour and fifteen minute per lb theory.

No it doesn't take away from tenderness...the taste thing is subjective. I personally like better bark because i feel it adds to flavor.

Some will foil at the 160 area because that's the area of time the stall begins and foil will help it push through the stall faster. For me any good bark that get's developed get's softened too much with the foil.

Now if i'm in a hurry and had no choice i'd foil to finish quicker but my first choice would be just to let it do it's thing nekkid.

When you experience the stall just be patient...it will push through and you'll have great finished product!

No it doesn't take away from tenderness...the taste thing is subjective. I personally like better bark because i feel it adds to flavor.

Some will foil at the 160 area because that's the area of time the stall begins and foil will help it push through the stall faster. For me any good bark that get's developed get's softened too much with the foil.

Now if i'm in a hurry and had no choice i'd foil to finish quicker but my first choice would be just to let it do it's thing nekkid.

When you experience the stall just be patient...it will push through and you'll have great finished product!

what should be the finished temp?

Back