THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I was weened on Melvin's brother Thomas's sauce, but like Melvins better. As a quick history lesson, there are 3 Bessinger brothers in SC, Melvin & Thomas in Charleston and Maurice in Columbia, and all 3 have a variation of their fathers (Joe) sauce.

If you are lucky enough to visit in person, you have to try one of the Onion Rings, they run $1.50 per ring and worth every penny.

One last bit of trivia, Emeril Lagasse declared Melvin's Cheesburger, the best in America a few years back.

Sadly Melvin passed away late in 2012. He and his brother Maurice and father Joe have been making great Q in S.C. since the 20s. They both have their own sauces and are similar. There are many BBQ joints here , in fact I live about 3 miles from one. Most if not all have at least one mustard based sauce. Glad to see a bit of S.C. all the way out in Ca.

What a beautiful hunk of butt, and the sandwich looks killer too. I like some of the mustard based sauces, I used to get the Big Butz Carolina magic :sad: and mix it with vinegar. I'm ordering a Melvin's gift bag when I get home. :becky:

I loved Carolina Magic but, it just didn't go. Think the premise was too strange for most. I did do a mustard sauce a little while ago that people liked but, it's an ultra small batch thing. Thinking I might whip up another batch of Carolina Magic and hold it in reserve for the hardcore fans.

Back