Pulled pork sammies w/slaw on some Hawaiian buns. This morning's breakfast too.

JazzyBadger

Quintessential Chatty Farker
So a few days ago I took a crack at smoking my first boneless butt from Costco on the W.S.M. Made some Hawaiian buns as well. Second butt is sitting seasoned in a cryovac waiting to become gyros.

DSC03681.jpg

Sprinkled some homemade rub on there, injected with some apple juice and more of the rub.
DSC03684.jpg

When Big Spidey came up to temp I threw the butt on there. Smoked it with some hickory and apple chunks. Let it go at about 230º for the first two hours or so, then let er' rip to 275-290º for about four more hours.

DSC03685.jpg

About six or seven hours in I reckon, this is just before I wrapped it in some butcher's paper.
Once I put it back on the pit I let it go for a couple more hours, and then I started on the buns. Made my brioche recipe with some pineapple juice and ginger added in, this is after the first proof.
DSC03710.jpg

At this point I probe tested the butt (no bone to check with) and it was buttery good.

DSC03690.jpg

While it was resting I put the dough on the counter, weighed out 4 ounce balls of doll, and 2.5 ounce balls of dough for my three youngest boys. They're not one for big buns.

DSC03711.jpg

Pressed by hand, let the gluten relax, then pressed again to get the shape I wanted. This is the end result.

DSC03712.jpg

I like egg washing them, gives a good sheen, and makes them the proper golden color I see in my mind's eye.
DSC03718.jpg

Picture of the crumb. Crappy picture, but it gets the point across well enough.
DSC03704.jpg

Pork after it's been pulled.

DSC03720.jpg

B.B.Q. Sauce, cheese, slaw, and pickles.
DSC03722.jpg

Served with some leftover Mexican rice I had from the smoked pork tacos we had earlier. (Gonna make a post about that as well at some point.)

This morning the boys asked for French Toast for breakfast, and so I whipped that up. I thought it looked good, so decided to take a picture. Here it is:

DSC03727.jpg

Made from a brioche loaf I had made the day before.
Thanks for looking!

You're making me hungry. I've got one in the smoker right now. Hurry up pork butt.

Lemme know how your cook turns out.

That butt looks great as does the rest of the meal. Nice buns for the sammiches too.

Thank you kindly sir. I was quite pleased with their turnout. Might have to make that recipe into rolls for Thanksgiving this year.

Nobody's taken me up on this yet - but maybe you'd like to adopt a man in his late 40's? :hungry:

:pound: Hey man, you make it down here to ol' Tejas, and you can be here forever. Already got six boys, what the Hell is one more?! Besides, you'd probably actually know how to clean dishes for REAL. At the very least understand that a dish is dry when it is no longer WET! Teenagers. :rolleyes:

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Is it out of line to ask for the roll recipe? Those look fantastic! I think my wife would pass out if I made those for her.

Oh, man that all looks so good
High praise coming from you, Landarfornia.

Nice lookin PP but those rolls look crazy good!
Thank you kindly sir.

Is it out of line to ask for the roll recipe? Those look fantastic! I think my wife would pass out if I made those for her.

Not at all out of line. That's the joy of this site, sharing recipes!

Ingredients:

2 T.B. yeast.
3 eggs (room temp)
About a cup of pineapple juice. Since we don't drink a lot of pineapple juice I buy those six packs of small cans. It's not a cup exactly, but the more juice you use the more pineapple taste you get obviously. I like the flavor from the amount of juice in that can.
1 cup scalded milk. Not too hot so you don't kill the yeast, but hot enough to get the yeast working quickly. What I actually do is use milk powder for most of my bread baking. I take 1/2 cup water and throw about 4 T.B. of milk powder into that, and then I take a 1/2 cup warm water, and put the yeast into that.
1/2 cup to 3/4 cup sugar. I usually lean closer to 1/2 cup, because these suckers are pretty damn sweet even with that amount. If you want it sweeter go 3/4 cup.
3/4 teaspoon ginger powder.
1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
1/2 cup melted butter.
27 ounces of bread flour to make the batter, then an additional 3-4 ounces when it's time to work it on the bench.
1 T.B. Salt (optional) the rolls you're looking at had zero salt, but I do use salted butter, so there is that.

I mix all the wet ingredients excluding the yeast water together in my tub. When the yeast has activated in the water I pop that into the wet ingredients, and then mix it all together.
I then add the 27 ounces of bread flour into the tub and mix it with a wooden spoon to make a batter. I let the batter sit for 15-30 minutes until it starts looking sorta like a pancake batter. There will be bubbles and the like in there. I flour my bench down, and then I scoop the batter out onto the bench. Typically at this point I just start off with an extra 1.5 ounces sprinkled on the batter and begin to knead it in. It's going to be MESSY, and your hands are gonna feel like they're dipped in a glue or clay, but adding the flour bit by bit gets you the right consistency. You want a tacky dough, one that almost feels like it's too sticky, but not enough to still stay on your hands when you work it. I basically do nothing more than stretch it out, and fold it over itself. The batter will absorb the flour, and once it starts sticking to my hands again, I add more flour.
I just put some flour into a bowl, and keep a Tablespoon in there. Scoop out the flour as I need it and sprinkle over.

Once it gets to that 'just right' consistency of a wet, but workable dough, I spray canola oil in my tub, and pop it in. Cover with a towel, put in the oven, and let it rise for 90-120 minutes.

Once it's basically doubled in size I weigh out the dough balls. The big ones you see are 4 ounce balls, and the small ones you see are 2.5 ounces. Sometimes I make three ounces, just depends on what size buns I want.

If you've got any other questions about them feel free to ask.

Back