THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

T

tennispro

I am cooking for my first large group this weekend. I was told it was going to be 50 people with most of them being a highschool football team.

I know people say you should plan 1 pound for every person. Should I plan for more seeing the group of people that will be eating??

Thanks for your help:thumb:

I've always allocated 1/4 pound per person. Remember, your pork cooked weight will be 1/2 or so of the original.

Being a high school football team you might want to plan closer to 1lb each but remember, only about 1/4 will fit on a bun. So that's 4 sandwiches per person.

Are you having sides too?

Are you going to have other food with the pulled pork? Normally, I figure 1/2 lb per person unless it is mixed men, women, children than 6 oz. per person. Depending what you're eating with the pulled pork, maybe closer to 3/4 lb per person.

I cooked last year for a party for the senior players of our high school football team. I cooked more thinking they would eat double and they actually about average of other events. I think 50-60lbs raw pork would do it but to be safe 75lbs should be plenty with leftovers.

I base my pork butt purchasing based on 1/2 lb per person...after smoking it will yield 1/4 - 1/3 lb per person depending on how fatty your butts are...:thumb:

Thanks for your help guys,
I will also be serving Pasta Salad, and Beans. I was told that the coach (brother inlaw) was going to take care of the chips and stuff like that.

I put an order in for a case of pork butts so I hope that will be enough:heh:

Well we are chugging away right now. I ended up going with on case of butts. It was 55 pounds.

They only thing I did not like is the butts were cut down into 3# chunks. I just hope that they don't cook to fast.

Here is how my day started.
100_2669.jpg

I spent half of last night pulling pork. It almost makes me not want to do it again.:wink:

I was not to happy with the butts before I started and I was even less happy when they were done. Because of the small size, they did not cook like I wanted. Half them were nice and the other half was tuff. I chopped the ones that were not as good. Taste was fine but just not my best.

I got a call this morning that the event was canceled because of storms in the area. So I had to hurry and pack all the meat into gallon bags and freeze. They is going to use it all later after a football game or practice.

But I do have about 10 pounds of pasta salad and all kinds of beans that I have to eat up now:twitch:

Back