PSA: KitchenAid Stand Mixer Hinge Pin

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
The other day when I was making Cuban bread for cheesesteak I noticed the hinge pin on my KitchenAid stand mixer was protruding from one side almost 2 inches. I pushed it back into place and forgot about looking into it.

The pin in question -

6eNBQGl.jpg

There's a short video on KA's website re: correcting this, figured I'd pass the info on. If you turn the mixer on its side there's an adjustment screw that can be tightened from the underside which holds the hinge pin securely in place -

dztTGy3.jpg

Mine was in serious need of tightening. There'd be nothing worse than having the mixer head fall off and do a number on the countertop.

I've had the mixer for 15+ years, never knew about this. I figured I'd pass it on to the brethren. My mixer head has been a bit wobbly lately, this should take care of it.

Mods: if there's a better place for this, feel free to relocate it.

Regards,
-lunchman

Every screw on ours needed tightening. Every single one was loose.

Last edited:
Good call on the tightening. You should also grease your mixer if you haven't in the 15 years you've owned it. The Kitchenaid grease they use in their mixers is absolute garbage unless you're using it weekly where the grease won't break down. I recommend a good food safe synthetic grease for it. It's a couple hour job if you're anal like me to remove all of the Kitchenaid grease they use in them. Synthetic grease won't break down over time like Kitchenaid grease will. Even if you don't use the mixer. You're mixer will thank you down the road....

I've flipped or gifted around 15 Kitchenaid mixers in the last 5 years or so. People sell them or think they're broken when they see something leaking. It's just Kitchenaids crappy grease breaking down. There is a reason why they don't switch over to something better. It's a cash cow for them. People go out and buy a new Kitchenaid mixer or they bring it into their Kitchenaid service centers for repairs. Money either way for them. Same crappy grease goes back in. The one thing I don't like about Kitchenaid.

I picked up a Kitchenaid mixer the other day for $20. I'll have to remember to snap some pictures and post what their grease looks like when opening up their mixers. It might help someone decide if it's worth a few hours of their time.

Thank you Sir.I bought a used,reconditioned one several years ago.Have had that problem.I attributed it to being used and heavily used by me.Just kept an eye on it and pushed back in as need.Very helpful tip.Thanks again.

Good call on the tightening. You should also grease your mixer if you haven't in the 15 years you've owned it. The Kitchenaid grease they use in their mixers is absolute garbage unless you're using it weekly where the grease won't break down. I recommend a good food safe synthetic grease for it. It's a couple hour job if you're anal like me to remove all of the Kitchenaid grease they use in them. Synthetic grease won't break down over time like Kitchenaid grease will. Even if you don't use the mixer. You're mixer will thank you down the road....

OMG! I watched one video on removing, then replacing the grease. Looks like fun (not really). There seem to be a good number of videos and articles on performing this operation. It's going to be messy, to say the least. And it appears food grade grease is a must.

This will be one of those "I really need to be in the right frame of mind before attempting this" chore.

Thanks for the heads up re: Kitchen Aid grease.

OMG! I watched one video on removing, then replacing the grease. Looks like fun (not really). There seem to be a good number of videos and articles on performing this operation. It's going to be messy, to say the least. And it appears food grade grease is a must.

This will be one of those "I really need to be in the right frame of mind before attempting this" chore.

Thanks for the heads up re: Kitchen Aid grease.

I could almost guarantee a Kitchenaid service center or some other average Joe that fixes these mixers only removes 75% of the old grease before packing it back up with new crappy grease that will eventually leak again. If you can get yourself to sit down for 2-3 hours with a roll of paper towels, tooth picks, tooth brushes, and whatever else you can find to remove their grease it's worth the hassle. If you go the synthetic grease route it should should be a one and done type of service. I've done it for every mixer I've gifted or flipped. I could be that person who just removes the majority of old grease and plop in some new stuff but what does that really fix? If I'm going to sell something I want to feel good about selling it. Something that I'd use in my kitchen.

I 100% agree with having to have the right frame of mind. It also helps having the right type of tools before you get started. Fortunately it's fairly common tools. A punch, small hammer, standard and phillips screw driver, and a small dental pick for removing the o-ring. The biggest challenge is time and clean up. Otherwise it's pretty straight forward. Let's say it takes you 3-4 hours. (98% of that time is cleaning/removing grease) You'll get many, many more years out of that mixer for really just a few hours worth of work. Hard to beat that!

4 hours to change the grease? I don't think I'd be able to convince myself that my time is worth that, for a mixer that isn't that expensive.

Now the screw, I could see setting an annual calendar reminder to make sure it's tight.

4 hours to change the grease? I don't think I'd be able to convince myself that my time is worth that, for a mixer that isn't that expensive.

Now the screw, I could see setting an annual calendar reminder to make sure it's tight.

It's going to take more time the first time around. It obviously gets easier and quicker the more you do it. I don't want to tell someone it takes an 1-1.5 hours when it takes them 3 hours the first go around. I'm also in the camp where if you're going to take the time to do it you might as well do it right the first time around. Here's a few pictures I've found:

You can tell the Kitchenaid grease isn't doing any lubricating and has broken down. Other portions have hardened.

3963da4cb4a9e1f85d8e009f627f85.jpg

Picture of the new grease with all the other grease removed. This will also give you the chance to look over the gearing for any wear.

Start of the new food safe synthetic grease

jbxz5ztdfp00.jpg

Thank you for both the pin set screw heads upand pics of the grease - jeesh!

So I'm guessing you don't change your own oil, filters in your vehicles?
Ed

I actually did oil, filter, fuel filter, cabin and engine air filter a few weeks back. I can do that all in under an hour, which is less time than going to the dealership and back.

I think Dom's Screw tip, is more in line with an oil change. 4 hours of labor on something that's a couple of hundred bucks, and probably lasted a few years? vs an hour of work on something that's several hundred bucks and lasts for hundreds of thousands of miles?

I actually did oil, filter, fuel filter, cabin and engine air filter a few weeks back. I can do that all in under an hour, which is less time than going to the dealership and back.

I think Dom's Screw tip, is more in line with an oil change. 4 hours of labor on something that's a couple of hundred bucks, and probably lasted a few years? vs an hour of work on something that's several hundred bucks and lasts for hundreds of thousands of miles?

If you use synthetic grease it's a one time deal. You'll change your oil, filter, and fuel filter again before you will have to change out your synthetic grease in your Kitchenaid mixer. It's really not all that bad. If you're doing all that with your vehicle it's a pretty simple fix on your mixer. There's ways to cut down on time but I'm keeping it simple and not saying it can't be done in 1-1.5 hours. It's going to take time as it's your first time.

I also understand if you want to buy a mixer every so often. It's not for all. I'd run out of $20 mixers if people didn't go out and buy new ones! It's more of a recommendation for preventive maintenance. Just like changing your oil and fuel filter on your truck. (It should be done but I've had a buddy drive his old Honda for years without ever changing his oil)

Kitchenaid used to be owned by Hobart. They were bought by Whirlpool in the early 90's. Hobart and the first couple years of Whirlpool used all steel gearing with a stout motor. Whirlpool eventually switched over to a smaller motor and nylon gearing. (I believe the Professional Series still has steel gearing.) I've probably greased 6+ Kitchenaid Hobart's over the years. I could only imagine how many been scrapped over the years thinking they were broken. Hard to beat an older Hobart Kitchenaid mixer. Most of them just need some new grease and they're back up and running.

Could not a fellow use their heat gun and melt the offending grease out?
Ed

A diluted degreaser with an old tooth brush accompanied with an aluminum pan can do wonders. Even some basic 409 will help. That helps take off a ton of time. Otherwise there's all kind of teeth you need to clean out in the gearing. A toothpick works but it isn't the quickest.

Back