THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bosshawgs

Knows what a fatty is.
looking to get a propane burner to do steamed clams ,corn on the cob and various other things.does anybody have any suggestions or how many btu's i should get.this is for a small smoker business thanks tom

Go to Amazon and read some of the customer reviews on these products. Many people use them for things like canning and home brewing. I think most of the folks buying them for this purpose get 60,000 btu, but say since they burn so hot, they're not good for much else. Camp Chef makes a 2 burner stove that has a 30,000 btu and a 60,000 btu burner for $100.

I have a bayou classic model KAB6 about 135.00 bucks. I use it with a 63 qt stainless pot and it will do what you are questioning about. I think the btu's are over 300,000 so I can assure you it will do a low country boil, boil peanuts, or whatever..
hope this helps...

The next question is stainless or aluminium pot? What do you guys suggest for beans and do heating beans on a burner require a different pot than boiling water for various uses?

I always use Cast Iron for outdoor cooking, but I don't think the type of pot really matters that much.

I have the Bayou stainless steel model 1114. It is rated for a 100 qt. pot and boils water in a 60 qt pot at zero degrees in 20 mph winds. We use if for boiling chicken at our little park.

I have the KAB6 and love it but I'm usually doing boils using an 80 or 120 qt. If your pot is not too big get KAB4--these burners supply an even heat unlike jet and single burner, burners which concentrate the heat in the center of the pot. Actually put a hole in an aluminium pot with a jet type of burner.

Back