THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coltrain

Knows what a fatty is.
I picked up a lightly used GOSM-BB last month and after cleaning it up have got a few smokes done. Here's what I've done so far:

Fist smoke was a chicken. I stuffed the smoke box with a mix of wet/dry apple and alder chips, cranked the temp up to about 300 and let the bird go (sprinkled with butt glitter) for about 6 hours. This thing pumped out thick white smoke for about 5 hours. Bird came out looking good, but tasted way too smokey - probably from the thick white. I just couldn't get it to go to thin blue. Bird also seemed a little mushy - maybe over cooked? But it seamed moist. Ended up throwing out most of it because of the flavor.

chicken.jpg

My next smoke I did some spare ribs and a chucky. This time I filled the smoke box with hickory chunks and set the smoker at about 225. Still had some issues with thick white, but not as much. Ribs just had John's Seasoning Salt since the wife doesn't like spicy. Chuck had some "cow crust" recipe I found on google. Ribs went 2 hours in smoke, 1.5 in foil with butter and brown sugar, then about 1 hour out of foil Tony Roma's Carolina Honey sauce (my wife's favorite.) Ribs turned out great - just a little too smokey.

ribs.jpg

Chuck finished off in about 6 hours - took it to 165, then put it in a pan with beef broth and covered with foil. Cooked it until the probe went in with little resistance.

chuck1.jpg

Put it in the fridge over night, then put it in the oven at 350 to warm up. Pulled super easy and was nice and smokey. Didn't care for the rub - I'll try something different next time.

chuck2.jpg

After pulling we made them into chucky tacos. Super good.

chucktacos.jpg

After sending pictures to my brother and dad from the last 2 smokes they wanted some. This last weekend we had a family gathering so Thursday night I went home took a chunk of meat, slathered it in mustard, covered it in butt glitter and let it smoke with hickory for 2 hours. Then I glazed it in a mix of melted butter, brown sugar, cayenne and captain morgan spiced rum. Then let it smoke for another hour. This time I used about 3 big chunks of hickory, and it was thin blue the entire time. I pulled it out of the smoker, let it cool and tossed it in the fridge. Took it to my parent's house on Saturday and heated it up on their gas grill. The meat came out great. But my family was surprised when I showed them the meat - it was Spam! - and it turned out really good. I'll throw a few cans of this in the smoker then next time I have it fired up.

spam.jpg

I would suggest to quit soaking your wood chips/chunks and wait for that "thin blue smoke" before you put any meat on. Eliminating the moisture in the wood will get you the "thin blue smoke" a lot quicker...and it will get rid of that nasty smoke flavor you have experienced...

I would suggest to quit soaking your wood chips/chunks and wait for that "thin blue smoke" before you put any meat on. Eliminating the moisture in the wood will get you the "thin blue smoke" a lot quicker...and it will get rid of that nasty smoke flavor you have experienced...

Well said

Well said
Agreed. Also, in the GOSM I'd get a 48 oz juice can, fill with dry chunks, cover with foil and punch a series of small holes with a phillips head to control the amount of smoke released and the amount of air available to the wood.

I agree :thumb:

Thanks to the search button and old posts, I only soaked the wood chips on the first smoke. The second smoke I got away from chips and stuffed the box with as many chunks as I could - no soaked wood though. I think I just had too much wood in there. The last smoke worked out really well - the smoke just didn't last very long. For longer smokes, I would need to re-fill fairly regularly.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone - there is no way I could have improved my smoking so quickly without the help of everyone here! I'm sure I would still be struggling with thick white smoke and nasty tasting food. I may have even given up on making my own que and just boiled my ribs :sick:

Agreed. Also, in the GOSM I'd get a 48 oz juice can, fill with dry chunks, cover with foil and punch a series of small holes with a phillips head to control the amount of smoke released and the amount of air available to the wood.

Thanks dequerre, I'll have to try the juice can mod for my next smoke.

In my GOSM I only use chunks and I put a piece of foil over them then put the top of the smoker box on and punch holes in the foil, works great and stops the flare ups when your cooking higher temps, never had a problem when i figured out doing it this way

Back